Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a BUNCH of chickens on my LBGE

Options
I'm cooking for my co-workers on Tuesday. Feeding 15 people. Each person is getting 1/2 of a chicken. Trying to come up with a plan of action.

I need to do 8 chickens. Planning on spatchcocking them and splitting them in half before I cook them. I think I'll be able to better fill the cooking area if I do that.

I'm hoping I can fit at least 6 halves at a time. I've done two whole spatchcocked chickens before and I seem to recall there was a little room left over.

In any case, I'm going to have to do them in shifts. I'll probably start about 4 hours early and do the first round. Wrap them in foil and put in a 170° oven to keep them warm. Repeat until all 15 are done. Transfer them to a cooler with towels and drive then to work.

Anyone see any big flaws in my plan?

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Plus with the extra half you will have something to snack on while you are cooking.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    should work., you could do more beer butt style in one cook as well. this was chef wil's cook years ago

chicken_002.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Never tried it but cut in half and use a rib rack. I think you may have to alternate head and tail to work. If not skewer some halves together and stand on the side. Just thinking out loud here. Or as fish stated do them whole standing up and cut after.

• Hankyorke
    Options
    If you don't have a second cooking level; run to Lowes and grab 3 4" carriage bolts, some nuts and a 17" Weber grate. You can fit two more birds on it.

LBGE

BTFU!