Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yes. Another thread about the small

Options
Pretty sure I'm comin home with another cooker tomorrow. Tired of waiting for the mini max I'm completely over it. I've been holding out on starting my outdoor cooking area because of it. The more I think about it the mini max would probably be a better table topper than an insert anyhow. A small isn't out of the question. I've been wanting one for a while but then the red headed step child showed up to confuse me. I don't mind spending a little more to keep it in the family as long as it performs as well as my large. I'm ok upgrading to the i-que grate to perform better. I'm ok with the ash bein a pain to clean out. What I'm not ok with is the accessories. I'd rather it be an all in one but its not. So I looked at cgs for woo and pizza stone for options. Looks like ill drop another 100$ for the small to be set up the way I want it. What say you? I'm not much for cookin over 700°. Just don't see the need. Never have. However I will need it to have no trouble getting to 500° or holding 250 (can't imagine having a problem with this) thanks :-?
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    I have a large and small. The small gets used about 80% of the time. I have no problem getting to what ever temp I need.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    RAC said:

I have a large and small. The small gets used about 80% of the time. I have no problem getting to what ever temp I need.

+1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Have noticed at a couple of US dealers the small being sold "on sale". Wonder if they are being cleared out making room for the "one who never comes"? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I had been wrestling with another BGE (like you) for quite a while.  I settled in on the SBGE (own a LBGE) but always thought it "too many $$."  Read too much here about what hacker it is (thanks @cazzy:) and then jumped on one at an Eggfest last month.  Too much fun cooking on it-
    Never considered the mini-max-figure the increased lump volume gives you many more options with the SBGE.  But the mini-max is a bit elusive to say the least.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I absolutely love my small. Fun lil cooker. HighQue make high temps a non issue and the woo & stone makes great for raised direct or indirect cooking. Comes up temp very easily.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wkenta86
    Options
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    We shall see howmitnallmturns out. The accessories is what I'm hung up on
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Love my small too. It gets used in conjunction with just about every cook I do. Had all four going at one time last night. Wings on M, sirloin on L, veggies on L, and spatchcock chicken on the small. Had trouble getting all of em up to temp very quickly last night - must have been a damp bag of lump. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    The small is the bomb.com

It's my go to smoker. If it fits on the small, the XL stays cold.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum