Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Chris Lilly Style

Options
I have a fresh 9LB Pork Butt that I will be injecting using Chris Lilly's recipe and will be setting on the Egg around 1AM. At 225 Grid I plan on 1.5 hrs per lb for around 13 hrs. Does that make sense time wise? Debating on fat cap down our up. Any thoughts? Using Post Oak and possibly some apple for smoke. This will also be my first cook with the Smokeware Cap. I will post pics as the cook progress's.

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Options
    225 grid I think will be closer to 2 hours per pound based on my experiences.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I've had really good luck with that injection recipe. When are you wanting to eat? I always try to avoid being up at 1AM unless it is really necessary  :-)
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I use that injection on all my pork butts, there is also a rub recipe from him that goes great with it. 203 is when I take it off the Egg.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • OmahaOne
    Options
    MeTed said:
    I use that injection on all my pork butts, there is also a rub recipe from him that goes great with it. 203 is when I take it off the Egg.
    I did a 9# pork butt 2 weekends ago and the time sounds about right. Fat cap down, indirect with PS and I too took it off at 203 degrees. I then wrapped it in heavy duty foil and let is set for about 2 hours. It turned out fantastic. The only thin different is I didn't inject it. It was my first time cooking a butt so it took a little more time getting the temp just right so it took a little longer that I thought. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    No need to cook at such a low temp. Kick it up to 275. There will be no difference in food quality and it will take less time.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    QDude said:
    No need to cook at such a low temp. Kick it up to 275. There will be no difference in food quality and it will take less time.

I cooked at 275 using the Franklin method. Chris cooks at 225-250 so I will try it first and if that works well I may go to 275 to compare.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I cook with the fat cap up.   I'm not sure why, but now that I've done it that way for a while I'm afraid to do it fat cap down.

If you cook at 225 you ought to figure on closer to 2 hours/lb so your 9 lb butt might not be ready til 7 pm.  On the other hand, if you cook at 225 you could start the meat at a more decent hour, maybe 9 pm and be ready to FTC it in the early afternoon.  

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • dstearn
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    I cook with the fat cap up.   I'm not sure why, but now that I've done it that way for a while I'm afraid to do it fat cap down.

If you cook at 225 you ought to figure on closer to 2 hours/lb so your 9 lb butt might not be ready til 7 pm.  On the other hand, if you cook at 225 you could start the meat at a more decent hour, maybe 9 pm and be ready to FTC it in the early afternoon.  

225 grid would be 250 dome. Does that make a difference? I could always bump the temp up in the morning if needed.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    After a wile, the dome and the grid temps approach one another.  
    Remember - pork butt is very forgiving so if you need to bump it up, feel free.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I went cap down last time. Better bark IMHO. Keep us posted.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    FWIW I cut almost all of the fat cap off. There is plenty of fat throughout the meat to keep it moist. What fat is left I put down.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dstearn
    Options
    The butt went on fat side down at 1:00 AM. Here is a picture of it after I injected and applied the rub. The butcher did a great job of trimming and the fat cap was not to thick. It was drizziling here most of the evening but stopped just as I lit the egg. The egg is stable at 225 grid with the DigiQ DX2 and the dome temp is getting close to 250. Time to go to sleep.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good.

Generally egg temps are dome unless specified otherwise.  Specifying 225F is like saying I'm cooking at 205 grate temp.  That would obviously be a long cook as some butts are done at the grate temp in this case.

There are a lot of variables here...as the grate and dome temp eventually equalize, it can come into play you set a bias in your temp if you aren't in equilibrium at the final setting (of your vents).  I'm wasted right now and can barely type, so forgive me if I ramble.
    Options
    Looks good.

Generally egg temps are dome unless specified otherwise.  Specifying 225F is like saying I'm cooking at 205 grate temp.  That would obviously be a long cook as some butts are done at the grate temp in this case.

There are a lot of variables here...as the grate and dome temp eventually equalize, it can come into play you set a bias in your temp if you aren't in equilibrium at the final setting (of your vents).  I'm wasted right now and can barely type, so forgive me if I ramble.

I have the Digi set at 225 grate which is running at 250"dome now. I did the same with them 12 lb brisket and it took about 15 hours. If it is running slower I will raise the temp. Stay tuned for more butt updates. :-)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    oh, you have a digiq.  That illustrates how wasted I am right now ;)
    Options
    9# Boston @ 225℉ grid/250℉ dome. I'll go out on a limb and guestimate pull time with an IT of 202℉ ish to take roughly 17-20 hrs. That is if you run at these current pit temps and don't bump it up and don't cover with foil.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dstearn
    Options
    I am at 160 now. Just bumped up the grate temp to 235. Dome is 270.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    That should bring you home nicely. That is exactly what I do on overnight cooks. I sleep through the night with the egg at a relatively low temp (225-240) then reasses when I wake up and adjust as needed based on my time constraints.
    I have to admit that at this point I only do large packer briskets overnight as I am a turbo convert where butts are concerned.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dstearn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That should bring you home nicely. That is exactly what I do on overnight cooks. I sleep through the night with the egg at a relatively low temp (225-240) then reasses when I wake up and adjust as needed based on my time constraints. I have to admit that at this point I only do large packer briskets overnight as I am a turbo convert where butts are concerned.

Raised the grate to 250 now, meat temp is rising to 165, so it may be coming out of the stall. It is 45 degrees out now, was closer to 35 overnight. I open the draft on the pit viper fan more and the daisy wheel to get more air flow as I notice the grate temp starting to go now. Now it is stable at 250 so I should be good for mid afternoon. As long as we can eat by four we are good. This is my first low and slow pork butt. I usually cook them at 275 for 5 hrs and then wrap.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Meat temp is now 175. Grate temp set at 250 , dome is at 275. I decided not to use the Smokeware cap last night until I test it out for shorter cooks.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Souds like all is going great for you.  I will say, I love my Smokeware Cap.  It's so much easier to control ventilation.  Nothing changes when you open the egg.  And from my viewing perspective (in a chair) I can easily see and manage the opening.  It's ideal.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • dstearn
    Options
    DonWW said:
    Souds like all is going great for you.  I will say, I love my Smokeware Cap.  It's so much easier to control ventilation.  Nothing changes when you open the egg.  And from my viewing perspective (in a chair) I can easily see and manage the opening.  It's ideal.

When I instaled the Nomex gasket inside the cap I did a bad job of cutting the excess tape and left a slight crack in the nomex at the seam. Since it was not raining I decided to wait. The meat temp is now 185 after raising the grate for a few hrs. I lowered the grate temp to 225 since I will not be serving until around 3:30. Will FTC if needed.
  • dstearn
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Here it at12 hours. Looks like my temp probe was not in the right part of the butt, I had a reading of 195 in thinner part. Move the probe, raised the grid temp and it is now at 190 internal.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looking good :-c
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dstearn
    Options
    Done! I pulled at 202, probed like butter at that temp and rested for 30 minutes. When I removed the butt from the grid the end of it seperated as it was starting to fall apart. When I pulled it I did not see any juices in the pan so either they redistributed back in the meat or the juices were lost at the time it fell apart. Next time I will try it without the injection. Flavor profile was good, no salty taste.
  • kcmrlitz
    Options
    So what was the final amount of time?
  • dstearn
    Options
    kcmrlitz said:
    So what was the final amount of time?

14 1/2 hours
  • mitch2264
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it!