Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky - What's the best meat to use?

AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm leaning toward doing some jerky soon and was wondering if there was a consensus on what is the best meat to use. Makes sense to use a cheap meat but would it be better with, say, a ribeye?[p]Two more additional questions. Do you stack all the slices in a mound and rotate every couple hours? Direct or indirect?

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    AndyR,[p]I used brisket, at Gfw's suggestion. You want a cut with as little internal fat as possible, so I wouldn't use rib eye. Round or London broil are other possibilities. Trim away all exterior fat and slice the meat with the grain (easier to do if you partially freeze it first).[p]Gordon uses firebricks. I don't have any so I used an upturned plate setter; put a drip pan on that; and rested two crossed grills (so nothing could fall through) on the setter's feet. Just spread the whole mound of meat strips on the grill. Flip the entire mass after the first 2 hours or so. Then, as the strips start drying out, turn and move them around hourly so all cook evenly. I had 3 lbs. of brisket & it took 9.5 hours to do it all; some was done sooner. [p]Check out Gordon's site for pics & marinade recipes.[p]Jerky is fun to make and even more fun to eat - enjoy the process.[p]Cathy
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    AndyR,
    Cat gives you good advice.

[ul][li]gfw's jerky site[/ul]
  • Cat
    JJ,[p]Mornin', brother dear. Hope today is a bit cooler down there.[p]Cathy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    AndyR,[p]I've made jerkey with a number of different cuts, some round, some chuck roast, some other cheap meats I've found on sale, and some other leaner cuts. The last batch I made was made with brisket and it was by far the best textured jerkey that I've made. I had the butcher cut up the brisket into 1/8th inch slabs, then I marinated/cured them for about a week (not on purpose) and cooked them. It was about 7 pounds of brisket on the grill, all laid flat on top of eachother, turning the pile every 45 minutes or so, total cook was about 6.5 hours at 225. I did them indirect over a drip pan and firebrick setup. I didn't even trim the fat on the brisket. Some say to get the lean meats as the fat on the meat will go rancid quickly after the jerkey is done and it sits. Mine never sits long enough to go rancid so I don't worry about it. Good luck, jerkey on the egg is quite a treat.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    AndyR,[p]I wouldn't use a good steak cut, I used chuck roast and a sirloin roast and had good results. Nature Boy just sent me some of his he made using GFW's recipe with his own jerk seasonings added for punch. He used brisket and it had a nice jerky texture - they call it jerky for a reason you know!! [p]Tim
  • JJ
    Cat,
    Morning Sis. Cool front coming through it is only supposed to get to 100* today.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]Nothing like a 100 degree cold front. We haven't had any of those this summer in the rainforest environment that is central New Jersey. My recommendation to you is to throw a pork butt in one of your unlit Eggs and see if you can do low and slo without any charcoal or fire.[p]Cornfed
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Cat,[p]So it's the opposite of slicing Q'd brisket. You slice with the grain for jerky as opposed to across the grain for sliced bisket?[p]AndyR
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I use top round, which I can often find already sliced thin.

• Cat
    AndyR,[p]Right. I've seen jerky recipes that say to slice across the grain, so that would probably work too. But it looks so cool sliced the other way![p]I did mine at a lower temp than Sprinter - about 180 dome on average.[p]Cathy

• JJ
    Cornfed,
    What's rain?????

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Cat, 100% agreement - made some more yesterday based on the recipe above and used 2 tsp of everything - maybe a little too much onion powder. Have a great weekend.

• Cat
    Gfw,[p]You're my jerky guru. ;-}[p]Cathy
  • BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    AndyR,[p]I found the best meat to use is flank steak. It is very lean and has an excellent texture for jerky. It is rather pricey (4 - 5 $$ a pound) but alot of times I get it in the managers special section. It is not a big seller so when some stores can't sell it, they mark it down half price.