Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Report on a MAC knife and EdgePro sharpener

Options
Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently decided to get a new chef's knife just for BBQ. [p]I like our 30 year old Victorinox knives but decided I needed a little more bling.[p]I ordered a MAC 8" Hollow Edge Chef's knife from www.cutleryandmore.com .
I like the MAC, good hand feel and the right blade thickness/stiffness/shape for me. YMMV.
However these knives were supposed to come very sharp. Hmmm - not according to me.[p]So that prompted me to order an Apex knife sharpener from www.edgeproinc.com
EdgePro has the best manual knife sharpener IMHO. (Not quite ready to purchase a Tormek power sharpener.)[p]After watching the included video and a little practice and presto, a sharp edge and to prove it I promptly cut myself several times. Doesn't take long to forget how to handle really sharp knives.[p]Poking around for knife sharpening info, I came across the following web site. Highly recommended. http://users.ameritech.net/knives/index.htm[p]Toy Man - Liking his new bling bling.

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Sharpening knives has always been my bugaboo since my wife is constantly using my good ones on hard surfaces. Links are interesting - thanks! A couple of the links seem to need some minor adjustments because of extra characters that crept in at the end.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Toy Man,
    musta been reading my mind. I got a set of filet knives for christmas, Knives of Alaska (dang nice set I might add). But it doesn't have what I would consider a razor sharp, pretty good, but I've seen better. I've been checking into knife sharpeners, I've got stones etc just not the knack to use them well.[p]Ya think the edge pro could handle a flexible filet knife?[p]Scott[p]

• Toy Man
    Options
    "Ya think the edge pro could handle a flexible filet knife?"[p]I THINK so but ask the friendly folk at EdgePro.[p]Toy Man
  • Bama Egger
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]Okay you gotta explain if this is simple or not. Went to the site to look at the Apex model. The pic had the knife sitting on the sharpener then I guess the sharpener is moved side to side?? Just curious if this ends the need to get the angle as I avoid the sharpeners that require me to make sure the angle is correct.[p]Let me know as I now own 3 Global knives and do not want to use the suggested whetstone at a 15 degree angle.[p]Thanks,
    Paul

• Toy Man
    Options
    Paul, you move (repostion) the knife across the plate to keep the blade at a constant angle. Hmmm - that's not quite right. You move the knife to present a surface for the stone to sharpen. It is a LOT easier than it appears in the picture. The post the stone arm attaches to is marked in degrees from 15 and up (or position it where you want).[p]I found it quite easy to keep a constant 15 degrees thru the blade including the curved end. 15 degrees does require a fair amount time to remove the metal even with a 120 grit stone. It would also to do a double edge.[p]You position the knife to sharpen part of the blade then stroke with the stone down and across the area supported by the base. Take a couple of strokes then repostion the knife, more strokes, etc.[p]I was impressed by the stones - fast cutting and durable.[p]Not sure if I have answered your question. If not, post again or contact EdgePro or send for their video.[p]Toy Man

• Bama Egger
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]Thanks, you did provide the info I was looking for and I will give them a call.[p]Thanks again,
    Paul