Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need suggestions for reheating whole brisket

Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy New Year Everyone !![p]Saturday night, since I was going to be up all night anyway, I did a whole brisket and two pork butts together on my large so I could refill my freezer. They finished early yesterday afternoon (21 hours total), and after a 3 hour rest in the cooler I pulled the pork and took a few slices of the brisket for a taste sampling last night. Now they are both in the fridge.[p]The original plan was to freeze most of the pork, which I do regularly with my foodsaver, and to slice the brisket every day for dinner until it was gone, reheating a few slices at a time, and freeze the rest. [p]Well, it now appears that I will be having about a dozen people here tonight for dinner, previously unexpected. The wife wants to serve the brisket as main course.........I have NO IDEA how to reheat the whole thing all at once without drying it out (preferably in the oven)? I also need to reheat the pulled pork, but I would guess that is much more forgiving, and I can probably do in the microwave.[p]Thanks all![p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Charcoal Mike,
    Not sure the best way to reheat the brisket but i imagine it would have to be slowly and carefully.[p]While I am here and since you brought up freezing the pulled pork, I wanted to ask you if it freezes well?[p]Thanks

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Charcoal Mike,[p]For the brisket I would put a little beef broth in a covered container (i use corningware) and nuke it just until warmed through. If the pork is foodsavered just boil or nuke in the bag. If not, covered dish, some apple juice maybe mixed with a little sauce and use the microwave again just until warmed through. Don't overheat anything. You just want it up to temperature, you're not trying to cook it again.[p]Have a great party.[p]Chuck
  • MakoBBQ,[p]See Chucks post above - that is pretty much what I do with the pork. I usually freeze about a pound of pork per bag (enough for a dinner), and if I can remember I will actually put a touch of apple juice in the bag before I freeze it, to give it some more moisture when it reheats. To reheat, I just get a pot of water boiling, and put the foodsaver bag in the water for 20 minutes or so - usually that takes care of it. Sometimes an extra 30 seconds in the microwave is needed as well to get it just right.[p]And to answer your question - yes it freezes great. Tastes just like it did the day it was frozen. I usually am cooking just for my wife and our 3-year old, but I always cook two large pork butts - some for eating, and some for freezing. It lasts us for months that way.[p]- Mike[p]

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Charcoal Mike,
    Ok great. I have a lot left over so I'm going to freeze whats left after tonight.[p]Thanks.

• Chuck,[p]The pork is just piled up in a big casserole dish - I hadn't gotten to the foodsaver yet before I found out we were having company. Juice/sauce and the microwave sound perfect.[p]As for the brisket, I did some digging through the archives (which I should have done earlier) and found this - fits along with your idea, and is quite simple. I may give this or a variant a shot.[p]Thanks a ton for the reply, and Happy New Year ![p]- Mike[p]

[ul][li]Dr Chickens Brisket Reheat[/ul]
  • Charcoal Mike,
    Slight variation on the apple juice, I reheat brisket in the microwave in a combination of apple cider with a bit of dry rub dissolved in it, it keeps it moist & adds a great flavor

• Charcoal Mike,
    If you ahve a foodsaver I would seal the brisket with some beef broth and some bbq sauce (mixed together & that you plan to serve with the brisket) and boil. This will both heat & retain moisture. The only drawback is the your beef may be to soft in texture. Joe