Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Year's Duck - Lemon Pepper

HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
mmmm.[p]Spatchcocked duck with a little black cherry smoke, and a test for
Nature Boy's Lemon Pepper / Shakin the tree rub. (with a little
added garlic, ginger, and deArbol pepper).[p]Turned out great. Way to start the New Year![p]HolySmokes

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    HolySmokes,
    raised grid direct, what temps? for a spatchcock. ive been looking lately for a duck in the market, but they seem to be scarce lately

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    HolySmokes,
    we had pheasant, which i roasted on a rack with minimal prep. orange and apple in the cavity, herbed butter under the skin, some bad wine in the pan underneath.[p]i pulled it off at 155 in the breast since all other appearances were that she was 'done' and flirting with drying out (or looking liked she was dried out, anyway).[p]what temp did you take the duck off at?[p](oh, and fishless-dude, demoulas/market-basket often has duck, but as a last resort, you can spend more at a wholefoods/wild oats/trader joe's ).[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman,
    inverted platesetter, indirect over a drip pan.[p]about 350 for the 1st 1/2 hour, then 300 for
    another hour&1/2. Duck is so fatty I take the
    thigh / breast temps about 20 degrees higher
    than chicken to let more fat render out. No
    worry about it being dry.[p]I had some trouble finding them too, then a local
    grocer advertised a sale on them for xmas so I got
    two...[p]cheers, HS

• stike,[p]Pheasant sounds great; never had one to cook.[p]I take the breast / thigh temps higher than chicken;
    it's so fatty there's no chance it'll dry out, only
    thing that happens is the wing tips char a little :)[p]the breast was about 180 when it came off, still
    dripping readily into the pan.[p]all best, HS