Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Penzey's spice catalog

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I just got a Penzey's Spice catalog in the mail. Everything looks great in it, and I was wondering if anyone has used them before and what might be particularly good for cooking in the Egg.[p]Don't think we'll be doing any Egging this weekend - wind chill is supposed to be -50 here in NH![p]Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Bev Doherty,
    Penzey's is one of the "BEST" Spice suppliers you can find. Many here use them as their source and I've never seen the first complaint about them. I know Cat orders many items from them as well as NatureBoy. It is the infamous source for the Baby Back ribs with Juniper berries that Cat is credited with and everyone raves about.[p]Let your taste buds be the judge as far as what spice you want to use with the egg. Almost anything you like will work. Let the creative juices flow and share any new findings with the rest of us.[p]Thanks,
    Bob

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Hi Bob -[p]I do order a lot from Penzey's - favorites include ground chipotle, toasted minced dried onion (which I add to coleslaw), and Sarawak peppercorns. Everything is fresh, prices are reasonable, and I've never had a problem with delivery.[p]Actually, the rib rub is adapted from John Thorne's book 'Serious Pig.' Penzey's is a good source for ingredients that can't be found locally.[p]Cathy[p]PS Are you going to join the festivities at Eggfest 2000?
  • Bev Doherty,[p] Penzeys does have great spices, and the catalog is fun to read. FYI, they're also web-enabled at the link below.[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Penzeys Spices[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cat,
    Yeah Cat, I forgot, Bob's excuse before was that April 15 was tax day, and being an accountant he couldn't make it. Now that it is been moved back, maybe we can get Bob up here![p]How bout dat Bob. Comin???

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    [p]I think we have laid down a challenge, Chris. ;-}

• Bev Doherty,
    As the name implies, we are very good with spices, or so we like to think. We have a cabinet (or cupboard, depending where you are from) full of nothing but Penzey's Spices. We have a variety and they are all GREAT! We use mason jars with the lids that seal on them to keep our spices in. We simply cut the label off of the package and tape it to the jar. We have a variety of sizes but the most popular is the pint jars.
    The fajita seasoning is EGGCELLENT for the EGG. The poultry seasoning is fantastic with beer butt chicken and the Jerk Pork Seasoning cannot be outdone by anything when rubbed on the brined pork. Go for it. The only thing you will hurt is your pocketbook but your taste buds will love you.

• Grumpa
    Cat,[p]Sorry Cat, can't make EF2000. Too much going on in the business this time of the year in addition to moving into a new office suite this spring. If all goes well I should be at Eggfest Atlanta for sure this year.[p]You staying warm up there?[p][p]
  • Grumpa
    Nature Boy,[p]Sorry, I only wish I could, sounds like a blast waiting to happen.[p]
  • Cat
    Bob,[p]Warm as long as I stay inside! [p]Sorry we'll miss you in April, but look forward to finally meeting you in October -[p]Cathy
  • Grumpa
    Cat,[p]This is unbelievable! I just went to the mailbox to get today's delivery and what did I find? A Penzeys Winter 2000 catalog. This is too strange!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bob,
    I had a meeting in Atlanta yesterday,got home and checked the mail and there was a new Penzey's catalog here as well.
    YB