Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm a Big Green Egg Guy ...

Options
But, I really do like the competitors 'Divide and Conquer' flexible cooking system. Been trying to do some research on whether this will work on my lg egg or if there is anything comparable on the market, but I just can't seem to find any info on this.

Anyone got some helpful input?

Tim

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I found this video about this system and I like it except for the split warm and hot side as I don't see that working very well.
    Well it won't let me show the video but if you google Divide and Conquer flexible cooking system you will find it and can watch it. Has a lot of different possiblities.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing.  I have seen someone using the KJ heat deflector in the egg.  This was their offering for indirect before the divide and conquer system.  If this fits the egg then I think the D&C might as well.  Only issue is it is a little pricey when you buy it all separately. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @SmoketPitt ... oh, great link. Just thinking, maybe I'll call the Ceramic Grill Store and see what they offer. I really like the two zone cooking for searing my tri-tips etc ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I own 2 of the KJ ceramics and several of the BGE. 
    The Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig system is so much better than the new KJ system. 
    I like being able to easily grab the rig and lift out and or rotate the "entire" rack system. The Adj Rig slide grid system is also fantastic. All of the half stones and half grids on the KJ are just harder to work with. I like being able to load a grid of wings or shrimp and slide it into the Rig and rotate in and out of any hot spots. Just my experience in using. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    The KJ Divide & Conquer will fit both Lare and Extra Large.  Being a dealer for both brands, I've sold several D&C that ended up going into an egg.  It's a great system that adds many options to the egg and the whole system can be rotated as well as lifted out for ease to the firebox.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Be careful some here will get whiny you mentioned the...... Competition.

But you have a point
    :-\"
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Be careful some here will get whiny you mentioned the...... Competition. But you have a point :-\"
    @SkinnyV ... I know, that's why I didn't mention the name. I am very loyal to the BGE brand, I just love that thing. Tim 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I like the idea of a grill maker thinking thru the needs and at least attempting to address what is a constant topic on this forum, different ways to set up our grills. Adjustable rigs, woos, swing grids, extenders and pizza stones from a number of different after market folks seem quite popular. I like the set-up, if a KJ was in my future, I'd certainly consider the D&C system. 

To get a reverse sear without a setter, I've used this set up since I got my egg - an old stone I cut up to form a half moon sitting on the CI grid on the fire ring with a full load of lump. The raised grid is a Grill Dome grid extender. Easier to pull the Grill Dome than to pull a hot setter....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I own 2 of the KJ ceramics and several of the BGE. 
    The Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig system is so much better than the new KJ system. 
    I like being able to easily grab the rig and lift out and or rotate the "entire" rack system. The Adj Rig slide grid system is also fantastic. All of the half stones and half grids on the KJ are just harder to work with. I like being able to load a grid of wings or shrimp and slide it into the Rig and rotate in and out of any hot spots. Just my experience in using. 
    Tom at CGS also insisted the AR is "better" than the D&C, but I have yet to see why - and I own both an AR and D&C for my KJ classic.

What I like about the D&C is the split grid..I can have one grid higher in the dome and further from the lump, and one lower (eg: for searing or crisping).

Not sure how the AR provides that capability as there is no split grid (that I know of). 

All that said, I haven't found that I use the D&C that much..there just don't seem to be many practical use cases for it and the AR usually sits in my KJ - while the D&C is in a box in my garage most of the time..I do bring it out time to time but have not really gotten the hang of it yet.

BTW, I thought my "#1" buying criteria was split grid cooking.  I was "totally" convinced I HAD to have that.  Made me look at Primo for a looooong time before settling on KJ.  Turns out split grid cooking ain't all I thought it was going to be and pretty impractical in hindsight..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Skiddymarker  - That's a brilliant idea, hadn't thought of that.