Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Game Hens Thai style

Couple of weeks ago,. was in Portland, OR, and had some very good food from a Thai style restaurant called Pok Pok. Came across several of their recipes on the web, and decided a chicken recipe, "Kai Yaang," was doable.

The chef insists on using only authentic ingredients, and that adds a lot to the way the flavors end up. I couldn't find any Thai fish sauce, or light soy, and so settled for Vietnamese.

The result wasn't a complete success, but was really good for a 1st try. The chicken was completely moist, and completely infused w. flavor. The down side was that it was a little too salty.

None of the recipe techniques was hard, but it was lenfthly. Used lots of lemon grass, garlic and cilantro. Some white pepper, some shallots.

Started w. an over nite brine w. salt sugar, and a mince of lemon grass, garlic and cilantro stems. I think I did not rinse the game hens well enough when I removed them from the brine, and that may have been the origin of the excess salt. Then the birds were stuffed with a mixture of the same veg, and left to dry in the fridge for a min. of 4 hours. At that point, they are glazed w. a sauce that includes the fish and soy sauce, and left to dry another 2 hours.

Cooked indirect, breasts down, 350, for 45 minutes. Flipped for 10. Then basted w. oil flavored by gently frying shallots, which were strained out. Another 10 -15 min. Finally, brushed w. dilute honey and cooked direct till golden brown. Breasts were 165F.

Oh, and the stuffing wasn't cooked thru. For me, not much of a loss, because the flavor was so obvious.

Didn't get around to making either of the suggested dipping sauces, which also wasn't a noticeable loss. Worth trying again.

Comments

• Those look great!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Way to think outside the box. Nicely done
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I bet they were great. They look very tasty. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    henapple said:
    Way to think outside the box. Nicely done
    The chef is big on grilling over charcoal. The flavors are different, but he makes a kind of pulled pork, and a sliced flank steak, and chicken wings. A lot of the stuff isn't all that different from American grilling. I figured his recipes would work well in an Egg. Got just enough smoke.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Good stuff there sir. I have mixed results with fish sauce, it either blends into the background perfectly or dominates and ruins a dish.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    TTC said:
    Good stuff there sir. I have mixed results with fish sauce, it either blends into the background perfectly or dominates and ruins a dish.
    I was a little worried. Even though the glaze uses just 2 table spoons, and I brushed on about half, I could smell it. By the end of the cook, it did indeed fade into the background, leaving the lemon and garlic taste at the front.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm guessing that the saltiness came from the overnight brine. I think an hour would be plenty for a game hen. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia