Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have directions for cooking a Prime Rib Roast?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My questions are; [p]1. Is it worth cooking in the Egg or just go on and cook it in the oven?[p]2. Does the charcoal or smoking wood have an effect in such a short cooking period?[p]Thanks for advice.[p]N.W.

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    N.W.,
    Cook it at 350F to 125F internal for rare, 135F for medium rare. That takes about 17 minutes per pound. Use hickory chunks. It is so much better on the Egg than in the oven.
    JimW

• Thanks for the information, JimW.[p]N.W.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    EarlsPrimeRib.jpg
    <p />N.W., Prime Ribs on the BGE is EGGsellant! [p]Check out the link for the bone in version that I did for Christmas. [p]Or check out http://yyyz.net/bge/Picture06.asp for a boneless Prime Rib. [p]Or check out http://yyyz.net/bge/R_Earls_Prime_Rib.asp for Earl's Prime rib, the one in the picture.[p]Life is GOOD!

[ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Gfw, Is there any thing you don't cook? Your beef jerky recipe is so hot in the my area that I'm e-mailing people everyday about your recipe or passing out the recipe I copied off the forum. How about that chicken wings recipe? Saw your pic but don't know where to get it at. Just a beginner but learning quickly thanks to you and NB.[p]CWM

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike, thanks for the nice comments. All of my previous cooks and pictures can be found at my web site - click on the link.[p]When you get to the site, review the menu that appears on the left side - it scrolls throught beef, chicken, chili, etc. - if all else fails use the search function and type a few key words - the side contains about 12mb of pictures, pages and recipes.[p]Food is good - Life is GOOD![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    N.W.,
    I tried doing a bone-in prime rib for Christmas for my relatives using Dr. Chicken's "Old English" recipe, and it was great! It's definitely worth doing it on the egg. No regrets, and more importantly, no leftovers! Unfortunately, Prime Rib is one of those cuts of meat that I can't afford to purchase more than once or twice a year. Try this one and you'll love it!

[ul][li]Dr. Chicken's Prime Rib[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    bdavidson,[p]I can concur with this 4 times, as I've made it 4 times and it is WONDERFUL. Highly recommended.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson,
    Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! We've liked it so well, I'm not afraid to buy it more often! Now I know I won't screw it up! It doesn't seem so expensive that way either!
    I wish you and Sprinter and some of the others that have tried it would e-mail our web master and get him to put it in the permanent recipe file. It is so easy, and the results are fantastic, as you well know! (they have to be easy for such a feeble mind as mine!!!) I would recommend it to anyone attempting PR for the first time or the 250th time.[p]Have a good one,[p]Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I did this awhile back Doc. just busy I guess. I don't puch things too hard with WMK, he's doing a fantastic job and I figure all things will come in time. With the Atlanta Egg Fest coming up and seeing the wonderful job that he did on that web page I can't complain. WMK good.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Dr. Chicken,
    You ought to demonstrate this recipe at Eggtoberfest. That way WMK will witness it first hand! (And we'll all get to taste it again!!)
    bd

• Thanks, all. I think I will try the Dr's recipe for my first Prime Rib (or first cooking of anything else) on my ceramic grill which should be here this week sometime.[p]Thanks, The Dr's instructions are very clear and I need clear instructions with this outing.[p]N.W.
    Cedar Key