Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Pork Chops??

Options
Has anyone tried cooking pork chops caveman style?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Combination of the two latest fads. I LIKE IT!!!!!!! B-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Don't know if I like this idea a whole lot. Got tobe a llittle more careful with temp on pork then beef.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    See no reason not to. Finish off indirect at 350/400. Just like I did yesterday except for about 4 inches on the sear at the start.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The new internal temp for pork is 145 all of the way through.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/dining/porks-safe-cooking-temperature-is-lowered.html?_r=0

That said I cook to 150 and let it sit for a bit after it comes off. Juicy as heck and no pink meat.... It's just about perfect in my book.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    So, I've done a lot of Cavemanning and have done ribs, chicken breasts (with and without bones), sausages, and many different cuts of beef.

I just last night learned that the quality of the charcoal is more important when cavemanning. Wicked Good Weekend Warrior gave me a better sear and had less ash than any other charcoal I have ever used.

I have a hard time seeing how a caveman technique would enhance a pork chop. I say this for two reasons. 1) A pork chop has a very narrow window of "done but not overcooked". I don't mind beef being a little overcooked, but pork chops get tough very easily. 2) I don't see the sear/crust as being as important on a pork chop. When you cook one at 300 or so they get an outer layer that is just right for me.

Now, with all that being said, I hope you do caveman and tell us about it. If you don't, that just means I'll have to do it. ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I just can't bring myself to throw a steak right on the coals. I'm sure it's good because everyone says it's so good. It just goes against all my grilling instincts.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I just can't bring myself to throw a steak right on the coals. I'm sure it's good because everyone says it's so good. It just goes against all my grilling instincts.

You and me both!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

You and me both!

I felt the same way initially. That's why I did it for the first time when it was just me and my son at a campsite. It was the best steak I had ever eaten. They don't all turn out that great, but it's a good technique that is fun for parties.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX