Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Shears for Spatchcocking?

My mom (and yes, she is wonderful) has recently come to understand the glory that is spatchcocking...which meant I felt obliged to return the kitchen shears she had bequest to me. :) So now I'm in the market for a replacement set. I want durable and functional (which means that they will easily dispense with a bird even if my hand strength isn't up to Arnold's)....price isn't a huge issue, as long as it's not "Pay for the name, not the function". Any suggestions?

TIA
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Messermeister Take-Apoart Shears are no longer Cook's Illustrated shears; Shun is now CI's favorite shears. Have had my Messermeister's for about 7 years and really like them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I have these :

Messermeister 8-Inch Take-Apart Kitchen Scissors

Works pretty good
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Mickey
    Also lots just use a good knife. I prefer scissors (just feel safer with them).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i use the big knife, stand chicken up, knife goes thru with tip hitting board, slice down like a giant papercutter. its quicker than shears
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    After using a pair of free Harbor Freight scissors I bought a pair of "Poultry Sheers" from my grocery story.  Don't remember the brand, but they cost under $10.  They made the job easy and quick. 

I'm sold on Spatchcocked Chicken.  Cheaper than cut-up chicken, easy to prepare, tastes great, and looks impressive. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I use Wüsthof shears. Easy to use for the most part. Every great once in while I hit a spot that needs a little force to get through the bone. Whatever pair you choose, I recommend getting a pair that separates for easy cleaning.
    imageimage
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    I have had these for some time. Keeps an edge and will cut skin as well as bone. The notch holds the bone very well when taking the ends off chicken legs. Tab closure to protect the edge when stored internal spring loaded to open reduces hand fatigue. Good leverage. 

EDIT - If SWMBO is not using it, "our" 10" chef's knife works to quickly take a backbone out a la @fishlessman
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sharp knife works every time for me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    These are what we use.....the best!

Kuhn Rikon 2706 Kitchen Shears, Black

List Price:$22.25
    Price:$19.39 FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
    You Save:$2.86 (13%)
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
    Want it tomorrow, Aug. 19? Order within 6 hrs 1 min and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
    Black
    • Black
     White
    • Ultra-sharp and durable kitchen shears with ergonomic, easy-grip handles in black
    • Self-sharpening blades for long-lasting use; powerful spring action makes it easy to grip and operate
    • Integrated herb stripper and bottle opener
    • Color-matching plastic protective sheath for safety and storage
    • Hand wash and dry.
    3 new from $19.39
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Cutco super shears are down right amazing. Can cut a penny in half! Makes short work of chicken and never needs sharpening.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have to admit the Kuhn-Rikon shears look really nice.

I've been using a pair of broad bladed tin snips. The tool steel needs prompt cleaning after use, but I've never had a problem going thru larger birds like turkey and goose. Cost under $10 some years ago.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    aem said:
    After using a pair of free Harbor Freight scissors I bought a pair of "Poultry Sheers" from my grocery store.  Don't remember the brand, but they cost under $10.
    The brand is "Good Cook".  Also available on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Touch-Gourmet-Shears/dp/B0013MXG4Q
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    The Butchers'
    New Albany, Ohio 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I use Kershaw taskmaster 1120

Dishwasher safe

Cuts chicken like butter

The notch in the blade allows to break drumstick and wing bones (useful when doing a ballotine or lollipops)

Good grip

Japanese steel

Shun are apparently rebranding and selling them at a premium. I have seen the Shun version side by side with this one and they are identical.

imageimage

Trauma Shears work great for me.
    Jax, FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @THEBuckeye‌ has a point... your butcher will hapilly do it for you.

@fishlessman‌ also has a point. I did not use shears until recently. Before I got them, I was using a chef knife and it worked well.

Mickey said:
    Messermeister Take-Apoart Shears are no longer Cook's Illustrated shears; Shun is now CI's favorite shears. Have had my Messermeister's for about 7 years and really like them.
    For the money the Messermeister looks hard to beat Mickey. I have a set of their knifes and really like them. I just picked up a pair of the Shun on sale for half off and they were still $30 but I really like them. Reviews are very mixed. Quality control seems to be a big issue on the Shun Shears. I got lucky and got a good pair.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    What is this Spatchcock you speak of? :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    @NPHuskerFL‌ That made me laugh in the middle of a training. Doh!
    Sandy
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Cutco super shears are down right amazing. Can cut a penny in half! Makes short work of chicken and never needs sharpening.
    +1 on Cutco and mine are nearly 30 years old and have never been sharpened!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    +1 on the Shun taskmasters.  They are bulldozers.  Comes with a nice magnetic sheath for keeping handy on the fridge. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    RRP said:
    +1 on Cutco and mine are nearly 30 years old and have never been sharpened!

Can you take them apart to clean?

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    +2 on the Cutco shears.Gauranteed for life and great cust. service.
    The new model Cutco shears are way better then the original model.
    I mailed them my old pair back and they sent me a brand new pair of shears.
    love them!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Yo Mickey...yes they come apart very easy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I'm using the Shun scissors but I'm sure there are many models that would work just as well.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Oxo Good poultry shears.  The one thing nobody has mentioned that I like about these is a notch in the bottom blade that keeps the shears from "backing up" when you hit bone.  I love mine.  The Dru

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    In all my years, I have never felt the need to cut a penny in half. :) Not only is it a waste of money, but I never figured out how to cook 'em! :)

I use the Wusthof's pictured above. Or my chefs knife. The other night, I used moms Fiskars generic household scissors. Umm, no!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    My Henckel's have worked fine for years, good leverage compared to some, but they don't come apart for cleaning.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I've got plenty of knives, but I like the leverage I get when using shears. (Admittedly, I've never stood Mr. Chicky up to do so...will have to try.) I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Cutcos...they let me order them over the phone rather than having to go to a fair or have someone come to my home. Sheesh - those are expensive! I hope they are worth it, lol. They should be here in less than two weeks...until then, I guess my next spatch will be done with the birdie standing up. :) Thanks all your suggestions!
    Sandy