Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trivet or such for a small?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Lodge trivet for Mr Big made a firm believer out of me. Now I'm to the point of frustration trying to get my small above 475 - and yes I've checked the opening and calibration to no avail. If it weren't for my handydandy battery operated "personal fan" I'd still be waiting to grill at midnight half the times! Can anybody point me in the direction of a good cast iron replacement grate? Thanks! ^oo^~

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    one feral kat, something sounds really wrong - the trivit should make little to no difference in terms of temperature range over the regular BGE grate - the trivit just doesn't break as often. And you certainly shouldn't need a fan unless the BGE is totally starved for air. [p]In my medium, I've used both the BGE grate and my now standard floor drain and experienced no time differential in reaching high temperatures. [p]

• Gordon, I understand where you're coming from and you probably hit it squarely about being starved for air. For that very reason I took it apart and cleaned it to make sure there were no obstructions. I then even went through a bag and selected a few choice pieces which were curved or shaped such that I knew they would bridge the holes to allow a steady air flow, but again 475 to 500 was max city! The reason I posted the plea today was in retospect since getting the iron for my other solved the very same problem I experienced with it. Now it so happens I ordered two from Lodge, and I could take a hacksaw to it and trim and trim but that's only a possible solution, not a preferable one.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    grates.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,[p]Until you find what you need, pick up some inexpensive HD 1/4" hardware cloth and fabricate your own. These only last about 6 months or so but you can't beat the price and nothing flows more air. [p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    expmetgrt.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,
    This is Bryans pictures of the ones he made out of expanded metal.He made me one for my small and large eggs,they work great and last a long time.
    YB

• Gfw,[p]I have to disagree about the trivet. I find it allows my large to get to high temps more quickly than the ceramic version. My iron trivets aren't as durable as the ceramic stock grate. I replace the trivet about every 2-3 months due to cracking and warping.
  • NCMike
    NCMike Posts: 28
    Options
    Gfw, what size floor drain does the medium take? Thanks.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    03_27_0009_41_04.jpg
    <p />Irish Smoker, you may want to look into a floor drain like mine - I offically installed it on March 26th... with avreage number of BGE uses per week at about 5, no cracks or bends - it is still as straight at the day I put it in service - it has more holes than the BGE grate, but the holes smaller. [p]With either grate - I fill the fire box on my medium with lump to about where the grey area in the picture stops. [p]Using either an electric starter or fire starters, in 25 to 30 minutes I'll be at 800+ degress dome - no effort - my big problem is catching it before it gets too hot - these days even for steaks I seldom go past the 750 mark.[p]
    [ul][li]Trivets and Floor Drains[/ul]
  • one feral kat, I have no trouble getting up to high temp. quickly with mine as long as I light it at the bottom and fill er up with coal.
    Gord

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]I haven't resorted to the use of a trivet (or such) in any of my Eggs as I have yet to experience the temp problems its use is intended to resolve. Am I just lucky?[p]Spin[p]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Spin,[p]I'm in the same boat, Spin. I won't venture to think whether it's luck or not.[p]Puj

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Get some "expanded metal" and cut it so it fits the bottom, like the regular grate does. You dont need the legs shown in YB's photos. I have an expanded metal one in my small. It has been there for about a year and works just fine.[p]Fritz