Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef clod cook

I am doing a 10 pound clod today,It has been on the Egg 15 hours at 225 and seems to have stalled at 165 degrees. Is this normal, this is my first one.
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I've never done a full clod but it is very normal for large cuts of meat to stall at 160-170. This stage is crucial to the fatty break down and evaporative steps Hang on it could be stuck for 1hr or 3.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Thanks Mattman!
    Belleville, Michigan

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, its normal. And...you might hit a second stall around 180*-185*. If 225* is your dome temp, I would bump to 250*.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MeTed
    Thanks @DMW
    Belleville, Michigan

• MeTed
    @DMW I plan on wrapping in foil at 180 and add some beer to braise until 205 IT. What do you think?
    Belleville, Michigan

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @MedTed, you can if you want, but you will sacrifice your bark. The braise will soften it considerably. I would drink the beer while you wait for it to finish personally. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MeTed
    Thanks @DMW
    Belleville, Michigan

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @MeTed‌
    Just curious my friend. Is your clod "whole" or a "parted" clod? I only ask because I really enjoy cooking clod myself. 10 pounds sounds unusually small for a whole (3 heads of the deltoid) clod.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @MeTed‌
    Just for reference here is a pic of a whole clod. Note all 3 heads of the deltoid region are present and intact. The Teres Major, Teres Minor and the Infraspinatus .image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MeTed
    @Eat and @SGH I smoked a 10 pound portion of a clod rubbed with a rub from ALDEN`S MILL HOUSE here in Michigan for 22 hours at 225 all the way to 205, with no foil or braising. It is Awesome. I pulled it as soon as it was cool enough to handle. I must thank you guys for all your help, It means a lot. @SGH thanks for the awesome post on beef clod. And the offer for more help.  Thanks to @EAT for the inspiration and great advice on how to post photos, I signed up with photobucket today now I just have to get a new camera and then start posting photos. It will not be long. Again thanks to both of you!
    Belleville, Michigan