Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

With much anticipation first cook completed

Options
Well after having to finish my table and the egg nesting on the backseat of the car since Tuesday I finally got the first cook completed. Many thanks to jmarbs21 for coming and helping me to get the egg in my table late yesterday and offering advice and guidance on my first cook. Was going to go with spatchcock chicken but decided to try the stuffed pork loin. Forgot to coat with evoo and was a little light on the Dizzy Dust but for a first cook I think it went fairly well. Stuffed the loin with goat cheese, roasted red peppers and fresh asparagus. Cooked indirect at 375 for about 1 hour and fifteen minutes (internal temp 143). Put some fresh silver queen on for about the last thirty minutes. I think I lost some of my cheese during the cook. Will mozzarella cheese stay inside better than goat cheese since it is stringy and maybe more cohesive?

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Awesome..Congrats on what looks like a great tasty meal..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice cook there The cheese is going to run out if you use fetae it wont run out of your pork
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @mebanite60‌ Dude!!! Seriously??? :-/
    That's a slammin' first cook! Welcome aboard Sir!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Very nice!. Looks delicious! 
    I hate to see that the drippings got on your new plate-setter. Although it doesn't bother some people. I like to use either some foil or a drip pan to protect it.
    I'm not criticizing you. It's just a suggestion you may consider. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• mebanite60
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion I will use some foil the next time or a pan. Just bought a pack of drip pans while at Costco today. I thought the cheese would stay put and used turkey bacon which doesn't generate as much drippings as conventional bacon.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wow! For a first egg cook, that is some starting line to work up from. Nice attention to detail on the plating. =D>
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Damn! You hit that one outta the park. ^:)^

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice first cook man!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Looks great! A suggestion would be to do a bacon weave next time. Might help to keep things together better with less leakage. I really like how you used the asparagus. Nice presentation.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Out of bounds for a first cook!!! Looks like you will fit right in here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mebanite60
    Options
    SWMBO suggested I use one of those new drip pans just purchased. I hate it when she is right>
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Goat cheese is usually good as a stuffing. I bet that you would loose more mozarella than you lost goat cheese.

Options
    Look that cook is $$$!!! Period. I don't have a wooden table nor do I have a desire to have one. But, yours looks sexy as Eff!!! Very nice!!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Wow. That's an impressive first cook. You have definitely hit the ground running my friend!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice cook. Don't worry about the placesetter. Mine is as nasty as a Baptist preacher...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Bravo... And welcome aboard! Great looking cook, first or otherwise
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Magnificent :-bd

In your first thread you said, "I am impressed with the knowledge and culinary skills I have observed thus far on this forum. I hope I can sharpen up mine as well with you all helping out an excited rookie egger."

Are you sure your a rookie? :-j I think the members on the forum will be learning a lot from you in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your cooks down the road.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • mebanite60
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind reviews, its an honor to be a member of the forum. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    Nice cook. Don't worry about the placesetter. Mine is as nasty as a Baptist preacher...

I don't think you want to let the PS get that bad. It might be grounds for the mods to kick you off the forum. Just sayin', I did a web search on nasty as a baptist preacher and it wasn't good. I couldn't even post a link because it was so bad. :D
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Way to go (rookie)...  It took me more than a year to do a stuffed pork loin.  I've got some catching up to do.  Nice cook!!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Nice cook, and I may be the first to say nice table!  As another egger who built his own table, I can appreciate what you have done, you will really like the inlaid ceramic work surface.  Welcome!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY