Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pork Butt rub

Options
Smoking 28 pounds of pork butt next weekend and I have Dizzy Pig All Purpose and Dizzy Pig Ragin River rubs. Looking to use the best rub around and not sure if I have it or not. Thoughts on the best rub? 
Also, should I coat the butt in mustard before or after the rub, or is that only on ribs?

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @BigGreenEric, Chris Lilly has a injection and rub that are made for pork butt, sorry I don`t know how to post the link, but on google type in Chris Lilly pork injection they are awesome!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Everyone's taste is different, that being said I love Texas BBQ rubs, especially grand champion.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    with what you have i would go with the dizzy dust all purpose but i would be happy with either one.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I'd go with the dizzy dust. I did a butt with dust last weekend and it was fantastic!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    +1 on dizzy dust. No need for mustard.

Options
    No mustard. And as for the rub, the good Q joints in NC use salt and pepper. Or even just salt. I use a homebrew, but next time, it's gonna be just s&p.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I usually do Dizzy Dust, no mustard.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Bad Byron's butt rub. I LOVE this on butts.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    MUSTARD, SPICY BROWN
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use McCormick pork rubs
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Bad Byrons is good, it's very salty with a little heat, works well on a butt. Mostly we use Mickey's coffee rub, I make a pint of that every now and then. Salt, pepper, and sugar will suffice as the basics, go from there with chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, and anything else that floats your boat. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, can mess up a butt unless they just plain undercook it and even then it's done and very edible.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I'm a big fan fan of mustard slather and bad Byron's butt rub
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Got tired of Bad Byrons and went with another rub that is local.  Its called Jim's Own Smokey Rub.  Been using it for a while now.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Like @CarolinaQ indicated, the joint here do not use a mixed rub, only salt.  Pretty sure that is how Eastern style does it too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I know you've had lots of suggestions here. My favorite for pork shoulder is Meathead's Memphis Dust. I would only recommend this if you're going to keep cook temp under 300 degrees or so as it has quite a bit of sugar in it. If you go much higher, it gets a little bit of a scorched taste. Memphis Dust creates a thick sweet and salty bark (I like to add some of the tougher bark to baked beans and put those in a pan on the egg too). Absolutely delicious! 

By the way, I often use Chris Lilly's injection too. The injection really bumps it up a notch and makes the leftovers MUCH better in my opinion.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Bad Byron's butt rub. I LOVE this on butts.

+1
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I've done like 6 butts recently. I've liked Mickey's coffee rub and Byron's the best thus far. And I've done one with just Kosher Salt and Pepper with pleasant results.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Google Bobby Flay's pork rub.. I use that or mickeys coffee rub.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    All you need is Kosher Salt and FRESH Black Pepper.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX