Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Egg...

I returned my Costco bought, 2 1/2 year old MBGE today for full purchase price :-? Pretty much, no questions asked. Went straight out and purchased a brand new large, from an "AUTHORIZED DEALER" with a manufacturers warranty! Can't believe I didn't hear about this whole "grey market" thing till now...

Comments

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    HAHA I saw people return car tires and a hot tub!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Why did you return it?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Because Costco isn't an official dealer and their for the warranty is invalid. (At least that's what I've heard about Costco eggs)
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    @ChillyWillis‌ that is correct. The Eggs at Costco do not and will not have a warranty attached to them. They believe that the best way to showcase their product and get it out to the people is through specialty dealers that know the product and have a passion for them also. Everyone knows that mass merchants don't have product knowledge,'customer service,'and product support at the top of their list. They are simply grab and go.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    FYI - the Vision grills at Sam's are honored... . Sam's is an "authorized dealer".
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I bet they will mark that egg down to a really low clearance price and sell it as-is. Somebody may get a good deal on that egg.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jcaspary said:

@ChillyWillis‌ that is correct. The Eggs at Costco do not and will not have a warranty attached to them. They believe that the best way to showcase their product and get it out to the people is through specialty dealers that know the product and have a passion for them also. Everyone knows that mass merchants don't have product knowledge,'customer service,'and product support at the top of their list. They are simply grab and go.

Aside from product knowledge, customer service and product support are the main tenets of Costco's business.

OP, I did the exact same thing, except with a busted dome. I went in, explained what happened, and was told "no problem". Their satisfaction guarantee policy is just as good as a warranty with the exception that I then need to get another egg. This is a minor issue.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    shtgunal3 said:
    I bet they will mark that egg down to a really low clearance price and sell it as-is. Somebody may get a good deal on that egg.

I highly doubt it......I've never seen any used product for sale at Costco.

If it doesn't go in the dumpster, it might go home with a lucky employee.  

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just wanted to say I love Costco. I get a new toy almost every time I go. I have been checking the 120qt Yetis every time I go waiting for them to go on clearance. A heads up also Bed Bath and Beyond does not have a limit on age for returns if you have the original receipt. I bought my wife one of the fancy mechanical hair curling things 3 and a half years ago and the bristles finally wore out so we went to get another one and when we were talking to the girl at the counter she said if we had a receipt we could return the original since it wore out. We went home and got the receipt and we actually got a new one and the price had dropped so we got a $20 store credit also so I got a new tervis cup. That was such good customer service that I felt like a scumbag doing it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

One thing to keep in mind, half of the seasonal or rotating stock at Costco is "gray market" stuff.  A lot of the brand name clothes, expensive jewelry, etc.  Costco buys this stuff in bulk from a struggling distributor or a closing dealer, barely marks it up and uses it to impress their members.  Breitling watches, Cartier, Calvin Klein, Levi's, Tommy Hilfiger, are some of the names that Costco has on the shelves that are not authorized.  I can't remember which one sued Costco for selling their products under the MAP, but Costco won since they bought it fair and square from someone else.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @theKYLE - welcome and lucky for you you bought at a retailer like Costco. 
    As a long time Costco member, I recall when electronics used to be covered by the same return policy, it was changed to 90 days in an attempt to stem the abuse. 
    Things like large screen TVs being used over Superbowl or Stanley Cup playoff then returned. GPS units being borrowed over the busy summer travel months, then returned. 
    Both Costco.ca and Costco.com offer items with shipping included. A significant number of items are being ordered and then returned to local wharehouses for full credit. One report noted a customer returning three blenders, she had ordered four, just wanted to see which one looked best in her kitchen. 
    Costco might be forced to consider a revision to their return policies if the abuse gets out of hand.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    jcaspary said:

Those are some sweeping generalizations about the employees and workforce at "mass merchants" which may or may not be true (in actuality may be true sometimes, may not be true sometimes) but the point being not all dealers know the product, or have passion for them. MY BGE dealer also sells Traegers, and inasmuch lets me know on no uncertain terms that they really prefer the Traeger, and know more about them then the BGE. In fact, I know more about the BGE then they do. And..."smply "grab and go" comment also puts ALL Costco members in the same (incorrect) category and eludes to them being uninformed, impulse buyers. Maybe you, but certainly not me.....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

If the product is returned unused then it is likely to be bought up by a secondary (tertiary?) resaler.  Much of it ends up on ebay.  A friend of mine from high school started a company that does this for many of the western U.S. Costcos, Sam's Clubs, Walmarts, and portions of Amazon among others.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Foghorn said:

If the product is returned unused then it is likely to be bought up by a secondary (tertiary?) resaler.  Much of it ends up on ebay.  A friend of mine from high school started a company that does this for many of the western U.S. Costcos, Sam's Clubs, Walmarts, and portions of Amazon among others.

Your friend is a genius!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    shtgunal3 said:

I highly doubt it......I've never seen any used product for sale at Costco.

If it doesn't go in the dumpster, it might go home with a lucky employee.  

Once returned, all product is sent back to distribution except for perishables. Those are thrown out in-store. Nothing is restocked/re-sold unless it's never been opened/used. I don't know what happens after it goes back to the distribution warehouse.
  • Foghorn
    RRP said:
    Foghorn said:

Your friend is a genius!
    Actually, you are correct.  He founded Diamond Multimedia which means that most of us used his modems in the 1990s.  And if you had a Gateway computer in the 1990s you had his video card.  He retired at age 37 with a net worth of over $200 million.   Then he got bored and founded his salvage company and he also flips houses.  He has a real knack for taking cast-off things and finding a market for them.  Unfortunately, he is an alcoholic who can drink up to 30 bottles of wiine in a day. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    @eggcelsior thanks point taken.  Sorry, I didn't mean to say that Costco doesn't have good customer service, they do.  I've been there a couple of times.  Service is good there for the most part.  Most though don't know what is involved in using the product.  Unfortunately, there are dealers out there that provide poor service.  It's their job to know, care about, and have passion for their product.  
    @gogogordy the comment about grab and go wasn't meant to say anything about the members of any establishment being unimformed, or impulsive buyers.  They have customers of all types just like every other store out there.  For the most part, people use the internet and specialty dealers for information and then either buy the product there if there is value in the product and the company offers service after the sale.  Otherwise, the shopper is left to look elsewhere.  
    The comment wasn't meant to offend anyone, sorry if the comment was taken in offense.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WOW! on every account!...even on 30 bottles of wine a day! Man, he must live in the bathroom! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior

One thing to keep in mind, half of the seasonal or rotating stock at Costco is "gray market" stuff.  A lot of the brand name clothes, expensive jewelry, etc.  Costco buys this stuff in bulk from a struggling distributor or a closing dealer, barely marks it up and uses it to impress their members.  Breitling watches, Cartier, Calvin Klein, Levi's, Tommy Hilfiger, are some of the names that Costco has on the shelves that are not authorized.  I can't remember which one sued Costco for selling their products under the MAP, but Costco won since they bought it fair and square from someone else.

It was CK. They lost because Costco was buying from the manufacturer that CK licensed out to.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458

+1
    Our local Costco is currently selling this 65 QT Pelican for $139.97 CAD !!!

canuckland
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Speaking of returned items, there is a local online auction house that sells Amazon, HD, and a few other places returned items.  They won't say Amazon, but they'll list it as an Amazonian sale.  They also do business liquidation sales, from products to the office furniture.  They put up a picture or two, note if any damage is present and you bid.  Always good to swing by and look over the items at first though.  

Can get some good deals, but have noticed some items sell for more than they would cost new from bidding wars.  
  • theKYLE
    theKYLE Posts: 11
    As a long time Costco member, I recall when electronics used to be covered by the same return policy, it was changed to 90 days in an attempt to stem the abuse. 
    Things like large screen TVs being used over Superbowl or Stanley Cup playoff then returned. GPS units being borrowed over the busy summer travel months, then returned. 
    Both Costco.ca and Costco.com offer items with shipping included. A significant number of items are being ordered and then returned to local wharehouses for full credit. One report noted a customer returning three blenders, she had ordered four, just wanted to see which one looked best in her kitchen. 
    Costco might be forced to consider a revision to their return policies if the abuse gets out of hand.  

Thanks for the welcome! I too remember the days of the unlimited electronics return. That was pretty much my reason for return. Costco changed their policy after being taken advantage of for many years. Sooner or later they will probably change the policy on perishable items, or maybe even the BGE? I certainly hope and believe that my Costco purchased Egg would have lived a long undamaged life, but who knows? I figured I would return it now while I knew I would not be hassled. It's a lot easier to return something 2 1/2 years old opposed to say 15 years. I totally felt guilty, like I had abandoned my best friend. I made sure not to look back. Only would have made things more difficult.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Can you return used beer to Costco?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    ^^^^^ these beers are defective and empty. I'd like them replaced if you please. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    theKYLE said:

Thanks for the welcome! I too remember the days of the unlimited electronics return. That was pretty much my reason for return. Costco changed their policy after being taken advantage of for many years. Sooner or later they will probably change the policy on perishable items, or maybe even the BGE? I certainly hope and believe that my Costco purchased Egg would have lived a long undamaged life, but who knows? I figured I would return it now while I knew I would not be hassled. It's a lot easier to return something 2 1/2 years old opposed to say 15 years. I totally felt guilty, like I had abandoned my best friend. I made sure not to look back. Only would have made things more difficult.

So there was nothing wrong with the BGE?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Foghorn
    RRP said:
    WOW! on every account!...even on 30 bottles of wine a day! Man, he must live in the bathroom! 

Yeah, he's a Greek tragedy.  And my understanding is that he tends to "limit" it to 10-15 bottles on days when he is working....

San Antonio, TX

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Costco has highly sought after contracts for business to buy all the returned items in a bulk load for them to resell elsewhere from what I've been told. They have to be able to move a mass quantity of goods quickly to retain their contract. I wish there was a Costco second hand store around :-(
    Dunedin, FL
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Kamado Joe is selling at Costco's with a mfg warranty.  And they're being transparent about it, rather than coming up with some excuse about a rogue distributor ;)

A few years ago, a fly rod company (I think Sage) forced them to pull gray market rods off the shelves due to their strict distribution company.

I know Omega filed a lawsuit against Costco a few years ago, but I see keep eyeing a nice Omega Speedmaster in the showcase everytime I go shopping there   ;)    

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Foghorn said:
    RRP said:

Yeah, he's a Greek tragedy.  And my understanding is that he tends to "limit" it to 10-15 bottles on days when he is working....
    Sounds like natural egger...