Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killer Hogs BBQ Rub

Has anyone tried this stuff or heard anything (good or bad) about it? I am considering ordering some but its a little on the expensive side. Just wanted to see if anyone had any positive or negative feedback on it before i pulled the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

Crunk

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Bump...

Have any of you guys used this rub? I have used it before and its really good. But I just fount out it has MSG. 

Do you use rubs with MSG? If not, what makes MSG so bad? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    GATABITES said:

Bump...

Have any of you guys used this rub? I have used it before and its really good. But I just fount out it has MSG. 

Do you use rubs with MSG? If not, what makes MSG so bad? 
    I use MSG. It apparently can cause idiopathic symptoms in some people such as headache, chest pain, weakness, etc(boiler plate SE on nearly every medication). It's GRAS but required to be labeled if present. There is no studied evidence of reaction.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    thanks @eggcelsior - I have been seeing a lot of products with "NO MSG" and figured it must be BAD. Just like "gluten free" seems to be the latest ingredient that is advertised. I never knew what gluten was until i googled it. 

I guess that over consumption of most things can be bad. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Killer hogs is good stuff. Has a little kick to it if you like a little heat I wouldn't hesitate.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    guess that over consumption of most things can be bad

Not bacon
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Never tried his rub but I like his site and recipes. I use rubs with MSG and even add it to my homemade rubs. I figure there isn't that much in them and I don't use them daily. I only eat out once a month and don't eat processed foods from the store so I'm still ahead of the game. I love people who freak out over MSG but eat garbage from restaurants and boxes at the grocery store. You are so far ahead of the game cooking at home I wouldn't even worry about it. I'm sure plenty of restaurants use it without telling anyone.  
    Dearborn MI