Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters Rockefeller

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all. Am up here in Sedona enjoying the view, the weather (it's 65 up here..a real surprise to all), and the spa. Had dinner here at the resort last night with some of the best oysters Rockefeller I've had. Anyone have a superlative recipe so I can try these at home? I've never done any type of oyster on the egg or in the oven, so need all the directions. [p]Tanx.[p]mShark-the-smoothskinned

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Molly, oysters? You? Well, it probably goes with the pulled pork. LOL

Here's a classic recipe from a good Lousiana cookbook. If you don't have half shell oysters, you can do thsi with shucked oysters in muffin tins. Line the tins with a little foil so they can be pulled out - or better yet, use the new silicon muffin pans. You can actually buy cleaned shells and reuse them with shucked oysters if you like.

Oysters Rockefeller

Ingredients
    1 pkg frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted
    6 small green onions
    1/3 bunch parsley
    4 to 6 slices of bacon
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    2 slices bread (for crumbs), 1/2 in mixture, 1/2 on top
    3 celery stalk tops
    1/2 cup oleo
    5 drops Tabasco
    salt
    pepper
    1 1/2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1 to 2 oz absinthe liquor
    40 oysters (on half shell or shucked in pints)
    rock salt (for holding half shells while baking)

Procedure
    1 Combine all ingredients in blender (except 1/2 of bread crumbs and oysters).
    2 Spread on top of oysters on half shell. Pint oysters may be used but fresh oysters on half shell are better. This is enough sauce for 40 half shells.
    3 Have shells on bed of rock salt. Top with remaining bread crumbs. Bake in a very hot oven, 450°F, until done.

Yield: 40 half shell oysters

Recipe Source
    Author: Mrs. Keith O'Kelley, Rushton LA
    Source: A Cook's Tour of Shreveport
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    And here is one more recipe (no bacon - less non-kosher) from Galatoire's which is a great Naw'lins restaurant.

Oysters Rockefeller - Galatoire's
    Ingredients
    1 stalk green celery
    1/2 lb spinach
    1 bunch regular celery
    1 bunch shallots (green onions)
    1 bunch anise
    1 bunch parsley
    6 sticks butter
    2 oz Lea & Perrins Sauce (Worcestershire sauce)
    1 oz absinthe
    salt, pepper and cayenne
    48 oysters

Procedure
    1 Wash vegetables well and grind very fine.
    2 Melt butter and add vegetables. Add Lea & Perrrins Sauce, absinthe and season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.
    3 Have 8 piepans half filled with rock salt. Arrange 6 oysters (at room temperature) on the half shell on the bed of rock salt in each piepan.
    4 Cover each oyster with vegetable mixture and place under broiler until heated through. Serve at once.

Servings: 8

Recipe Source
    Source: The New Orleans Restaurant Cookbook
  • mollyshark,
    Good morning. We were in Sedona in September but I didn't have any oysters of any kind. For some reason it didn't dawn on me to think of seafood way out in the desert. Can't remember what I had but it was a recommended restaurant west of town. Not very memorable. Won't be going back anytime soon. But Sedona itself was nice. We took a jeep ride out to some Indian ruins. The ride from Sedona to Falgstaff was fun but the 89A from Prescott to Jerome was very interesting to say the least. [p]Hope you enjoy the rest of the trip.[p]Spring "Shorts and T-Shirt" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Hi mollyshark,[p]Draggo in Metarie, LA does grilled oysters - thay are the best. Recipie is quite simple.
    1. on a cook top make a mixture of melted butter, minced/chopped garlic and a little dry white wine - sorry, but I do this to taste (estimate maybe 4-1 butter to wine???)
    2. Open oysters, loosen up from the shell and discard 1/2 of the shell - so now you have oysters on the 1/2 shell
    3. Grill direct at 350(ish) for a few minutes - laddle on the butter/garlic/wine mixture & sprinkle on good grated parmesean or locatalli romano and finally sprinkle on a little bit of dried herbs de Provence. [p]You want to warm the oystyer and not completely cook it through so the time on the grill should be kept to a minimum - no more than 5 mins.[p]You can add some basic wood for extra flavor if you wish - I've used alder & hickory (seperately) with success.[p]Give em a whirl... Joe

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Spring Chicken,[p]The recommended restaurant was probably Heartline. It's supposedly "the place." We skipped it and settled for Zona-Mex and no big deal stuff. Really didn't come here to eat in particular. We're going to do some walking around today uptown and Tlaquepaque and then head into Jerome for AlexShark to take pictures. He's never been there and figured he'd enjoy it. Then back to Scottsdale. Have a free day tomorrow and business on Thurs. Then home Thurs night. Just a quick one. But for some reason, those oysters were great. A surprise to me also![p]mShark
  • mollyshark,[p]Do a google search. they were invented at a place down in New Orleans... I want to say it's Antoine's? While it's not their exact recipe, it's pretty good. I've cooked them on a grill, just not a BGE...