Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sockeye salmon fresh from Homer, AK

Options
travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I recently was gifted some Sockeye salmon caught by my fathers life long friend and classmate, Dr Joseph Meyer. 

The fish: Salt, pepper, and a very light dusting of Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree. 

The sauce: Lightly brown some shallot, add caper and crushed garlic. Just before serving, stir the mix with a cold stick of salted butter until it melts and mixes. Mix in the juice of two lemons and the zest from the same two fruit. 

Grill indirect until the fish reaches 140 internal temp. Serve with rice or couscous and asparagus. 

imageimageimage
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    That looks great!!

I did something similar tonight. Fresh dill and lemon on top and grilled the salmon on a cedar plank. This is a HUGE winner at my house. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Love your cooks, looks great!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • travisstrick
    Options
    even my 2 year old likes it.image
  • buddyclaude
    Options
    Replenishing our stock here In Homer
  • travisstrick
    Options
    The paterfamilias with his fresh catch.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Wow. Wow..
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Forgive my poor US geography but I dont remember any part of AK bordering any salt water. :-?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Salmon looks great!  wtf with all the salmon today?  I cooked too.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • travisstrick
    Options

Forgive my poor US geography but I dont remember any part of AK bordering any salt water. :-?

Alaska is AK. Arkansas is AR. Alaska is mostly bordered by salt water. In fact, some say you can see Russia from there.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great. Salmon on the egg is my families favorite meal!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    tulocay said:

Looks great. Salmon on the egg is my families favorite meal!

You have more than one family? Hahaha
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This was one of many Travis gave me a few days ago. After this post I will be cooking mine for lunch Wed. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Thank you Travis.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Alaska is AK. Arkansas is AR. Alaska is mostly bordered by salt water. In fact, some say you can see Russia from there.
    Sorry man. I had an uncle that moved from AR to AK and increased the average IQ of both states

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

The fish processing plant in Homer is a remarkable place.  We caught some great salmon and halibut there a few years ago.  It still tasted great a year later after they vacuum froze it straight off the boat.

Catching halibut there is more like harvesting than fishing if you go to the right spot.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buddyclaude
    Options
    Course salt and fresh dill seasoning is simply delicious. Grill on cedar plank until the milky looking fats rise to the surface. Sockeye from Kenai River

Sorry man. I had an uncle that moved from AR to AK and increased the average IQ of both states

A local up here told me Alaska is the last refuge of the incompetent... My experience is overwhelmingly, everyone is super friendly, cheerful and helpful.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Alaska is the only place I have ever been where the food portions are bigger than they are in Texas.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry that was a quote from an egging friend from MO MO to AR was the joke. Just making a joke at my own expense

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Dude looks awesome!!! Man the kid is getting big!!!

Looks like in a few years he will need his own mini and start cooking. Consider it a grown up version of an east bake oven.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Sorry that was a quote from an egging friend from MO MO to AR was the joke. Just making a joke at my own expense

Funny. I just thought it was some kind of Canadian insider joke? I was just waiting until somebody else said something.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @travisstrick‌ Par excellent! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • travisstrick
    Options

@travisstrick‌ Par excellent! =D>

Thank you my friend.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Once more Thank You Travis. Your gift is on for lunch. S&P plus dill. image

• Mickey
    Options
    And we have lunch. image

• Mickey
    Options
    That was the very best salmon I have ever had. The first salmon I ever liked.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    You all got my tastebuds going, we are doing some sockeye salmon tomorrow. Everyone's meals look fantastic.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks excellent my friend. And you are correct brother strick. I worked 23 miles just north of Prudhoe Bay Alaska on a man made island that Royal Dutch /Shell Oil built for gas extraction. It was on the border of where the Beaufort sea and the Arctic ocean came together. On a clear day you could easily see the land mass of Russia with no visual aid. Again your grub looks excellent my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.