Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock in fridge 24 hrs, high in dome and skin STILL not crispy?

SmokyBear
SmokyBear Posts: 389
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys..

Following all the advice here on my Spatchcock chick but am still not getting crispy skin.

Washed and dried the bird..put it in the fridge uncovered for 24+ hrs..rubbed with melted butter.  Dusted with DP Raging River (lots).  Cooked raised direct on CGS AR (Level 3) way high in the dome at 400 for an hour.  Even flipped the bird for 10 min breast side down at the end..ANNNNND...

Rubber skin.  (It LOOKED pretty nice..but probably would've bounced if I dropped it).

What the *@^&^&!?

Out of the 4 or so Spatchcock chicks I've tried, ONE has had crispy skin..(I think it was my first one).  Unfortunately, as there were..umm..adult beverages involved that night, I have little (good) recollection of what the heck I did - but I know for sure I didn't flip it, as this last time is the only time I ever flipped.

I "think" the one time it turned out crispy involved cooking it above 400 as the temp got away from me a bit..425 - 450 if I remember right..same raised direct..same height..same time.  Just hotter.

All of the chicks have been fabulously juicy - without brining.  One was even "melt in your mouth" goodness - so much so that wife called it "chicken icecream" - which was a pretty accurate description..it truly was AMAZING, and I THINK it was that first chick also..

Any ideas?  I have another one going on tonight and really want to avoid another rubber chicken.

TIA!
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Have you tried indirect at about 350-375? I never apply any kind of oil to the skin. I just dry the skin with paper towel, apply the rub, and cook it Breast side up and never open the lid until the internal breast temp reaches 165.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SmokyBear
    edited August 2014
    I was thinking of NOT putting butter (or EVOO) this time - maybe that's the culprit?

I did dry with paper towel as much as possible prior to putting it into the fridge.

For good measure, I also used my BBQ Dragon (basically a battery powered hairdryer) to try drying it even more prior to putting into the fridge.. :)

Wouldn't 350-375 be MORE rubbery?  I know when I've tried smoking a chick at 225 or so that the skin is "pure" rubber.  I always thought hotter to render and crispi-ize more?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Temperature above 400F is the trick for me... I always start chicken in the 450-500F range. I cook for 45-60 minutes. I just apply a dry rub and nothing else. No butter, no oil, no corn starch, no baking powder, etc... I dial down the temperature if I see that the skin darkens too quickly but 450 is usually fine.

The only time I had a chicken with rubbery skin was when I cooked one under 400F.

edited August 2014
    No to melted butter or oil. It defeats all of what you did in the fridge. I do75% w/o fridge. Must 400 direct raised. No oil.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited August 2014
    start the bird skin side down for 5-10 minutes then flip over to meat side down.  Use the bge large grid atop of the AR.  watch the skin as the bird cooks to see how it's doing.  might need to flip back over during the cook.  only rub on the skin.  plenty of fat in the skin, so no need for oils.   375-425ish dome temp

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    No. I've always cooked them indirect 350-375 and have never had rubber skin. Don't open the egg lid until the bird is done. It's not complicated, really.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I'm with you @SmokeyBear‌ , all of my spatchcocks have had rubbery skins also. I always cook 400, raised direct. I brine, so the neat is always good, but I do get less than crispy skin. Now, I'm eating the skin so it doesn't matter too much to me. But I sure would like to nail the crispy skin. I air dry 12+ hours also.

I will try 425 raised direct next time.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    That post should have said 'meat' instead of neat. A It also should have said, I do not eat the skin (watching my girlish figure).
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Butter is mostly water. Coating with melted butter just adds moisture back to the skin.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Another thought. You may also try pricking the skin allowing the fat to drain out as it melts. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I always rub the skin with baking powder to crisp it up. I also do that with sweet potato fries to help crisp them.
    Dunedin, FL
  • BierMugg
    BierMugg Posts: 42
    I Have found if i put too much smoke on my chicken the skin is like rubber. 
    No smoke and the skin is crispy. 
  • tulocay
    I never add any smoke wood to my chicken. Plan ole Rockwood.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    Also, there is really no reason in washing the chicken before any type of cooking.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    I  light my BGE then get chicken ready S&P and what ever i want to put on it .Ounce egg gets to 350  and is stable for 30 min put chicken on cookf or 45-60 min check to see if leg comes off if so done remove let it rest for 10 min eat
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Here is how I do it. You have to stay alert or you can ruin the bird very fast if you are not careful. I set the egg up for indirect cooking. Heat the the egg to 500 degrees. Once it is stabilized and locked at a perfect 500 I load the bird. The temp will drop sub 500 at first but do not adjust the vents as it is fine. At the 20 minute mark I start adjusting the vents to drop to 425 degrees. I maintain 425 for the remainder of the cook. This method will produce crispy skin no matter what. You can oil , wet or whatever and the 500 degree dwell time will still crisp the skin. Again a word of caution. This method produces excellent skin but things can go wrong very fast at this temp. One should be both sober and alert when attempting it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    One last word of caution. When cooking at 450 and higher the flash back is like a small atomic blast. Be cautious if you attempt my above method.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokyBear
    edited August 2014
    Wow..lot of great ideas, guys.  Thanks!

Wife is sick today and wants smoked Salmon for dinn.  So, doing that in my Cookshack with some cherry and hickory (but coated in DP Raging River) and the chick will will get an extra day to dry in the fridge.

Will NOT add any butter or oil and just DP Raging River (can you guys tell we like that stuff?) and see how it goes tomorrow nite.  Should be totally dry by then as it's already in the fridge now..

PS: Tried DP Tsunami Spin on chick legs last time and did not like that one at all..weird cuz seems almost everyone here LOVES it and we were all excited to find another DP to add to Raging River and Dizzy Dust.  Oh well!  Gonna get some "Raisin the Steaks" with my OO order from Firecraft so maybe we'll like that one as an alternative to Montreal Steak seasoning..
  • SGH
    @SmokeyBear‌
    The method I described works outstanding but can be some what dangerous if caution is not used. So please if you decide to try it stay alert especially when opening the egg at these temps. Good luck my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokyBear
    @SGH - Will do..thanks!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Fyi, I do use a bit of oil to make the rub sticks since it kind of rolls off when it's been drying in the fridge for a day. If you wanted to do without the oil (I haven't tried this) but maybe rub before drying the skin.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    To avoid having the rub roll off the bird while cooking, pt the rub under the skin.  It is pretty easy to pull back the skin and put your rub under it then put the skin back.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Dekade
    Dekade Posts: 52
    Terrebandit - in your August 10th posted pictures ... what kind of rub have you used. They really look great! I want the crispy skin also. Yours look good enough that there is no need for bbq sauce even.
  • Dekade
    Dekade Posts: 52
    Terrebandit - in your August 10th posted pictures ... what kind of rub have you used. They really look great! I want the crispy skin also. Yours look good enough that there is no need for bbq sauce even.
  • SGH said:
    Again a word of caution. This method produces excellent skin but things can go wrong very fast at this temp. One should be both sober and alert when attempting it.

well, hell, I'm out.
  • I have cooked more spatchcock than anything else. Always have done raised direct around 400. Last time, I did indirect. I think I was around 400, can't remember exactly for one reason or 12 others. Little foggy needless to say. Anyway, it was a dark brow skin and perfectly crispy. I also put more salt on it than I usually do. Very good. Will never do one direct again.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    SmokyBear you are so close to getting what you want with crispy skin.

Try this-

Grab a mixed pack of legs and thighs bone in.  Or just get yourself a cut up fryer.  Marinade 24hours in enough buttermilk to get the meat all lubed up inside a ziplock with a bunch of your favorite rub. Set up your egg high in the dome as you had it, but get it firmly stabilized at 275F.

Cook raised-direct or even indirect for a good 100 min.  Sometimes I go 120 and have even gone 140 min.  

Just like how the collagen in an brisket, or a pork butt takes a while to melt away, chicken skin needs some time to render.  And when it does, it makes cracklings taste foul!

Hope this helps-  

Cold covered in buttermilk & herbs

after maybe 45 min- a scant few cherry chips already on the lump
    After about 110 min- done!  Well done for some but juicy & crispy-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited November 2014
    SmokyBear said:

I was thinking of NOT putting butter (or EVOO) this time - maybe that's the culprit?

I did dry with paper towel as much as possible prior to putting it into the fridge.

For good measure, I also used my BBQ Dragon (basically a battery powered hairdryer) to try drying it even more prior to putting into the fridge.. :)

Wouldn't 350-375 be MORE rubbery?  I know when I've tried smoking a chick at 225 or so that the skin is "pure" rubber.  I always thought hotter to render and crispi-ize more?

Bingo, IMO you want that skin bone dry, Thomas Keller's method works awesome with a small bird. I also go indirect .