Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't Egg Tell At Least August 21st

I had my left hip replaced on August 6th and am at home recovering. The doctor said I can only put 30% of wait on my left leg and am using a walker to get around. The steps to my patio aren't very big and my physical therapist suggested I not try to go out there tell the doctor changes my restrictions, which I hope is August 21st. I feel better then I have in 2 year's and am getting stronger. I am thinking of cooking a whole turkey or a prim rib roast. Any thoughts on what I should cook when I am able to again?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Rib roast would be my vote.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Must be an uncemented hip. You'll be partial weight bearing for 3-4 weeks.

Ribs or a low and slow!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Perhaps move the BGE to where you aren't dealing with steps then have at it as normal...?  Speedy recovery!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482

Must be an uncemented hip. You'll be partial weight bearing for 3-4 weeks.

Ribs or a low and slow!

Yes Dave you are correct again sir. I remember you giving me some advice a few months ago. They want the bone to grow around it first. I only have pain where they cut me open and isn't much. Mostly from swelling. My ice pack is in the freezer waiting to get cold. I am doing some exercises as I set in my chair watching football. The wife isn't a big fan of prim rib, but I am going make her like it like I have brisket now.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Uncemented or Press-Fit is a great option if you are active and plan on being around 20+ years.... Typically these are Easier to remove and revise it down the road.

Just follow the Hip Rules they beat into your head. Might also be easier to get your toenails done by someone else since there is typically some decrease in motion.

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69

Uncemented or Press-Fit is a great option if you are active and plan on being around 20+ years.... Typically these are Easier to remove and revise it down the road.

Just follow the Hip Rules they beat into your head. Might also be easier to get your toenails done by someone else since there is typically some decrease in motion.

What do you mean by decrease in motion? I won't be able to tie my shoes again? I can't do that now. I'm 50 and my doctor said it should last the rest of life. My uncle is 84 and getting his replaced that is almost 40 years old. I feel stronger and hope I can do more then what I have been doing.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Sometimes motion at the normal end of range of motion is a bit tight. Those hip rules make it hard to get down to that foot to do maintenance. Mrs Tran and her sisters do a good job!

• Ladeback69
    I have a great place already to get my feet done. The wife turned me on to pedicures many years ago and it's easier to do that and my feet feel awesome when they are done. I already feel like I have more range of motion then I have had for 2 years. I was bone on bone and the doctor said I was a mess and we'll over do for the replacement. I've lost about 130 lbs so far and want to loss another 50 at least. The egg has made food more enjoyable especially vegetables.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • That's good if your motion is improved! Better than most. Keep up with the strengthening exercises!

• Ladeback69
    I do them as I sit my chair, when I'm in bed or get up to walk. Not in a lot of pain, but the incision area is swollen and am doing an icing regiment on it every hour or so. On Lovenex so I can't take Advil tell next Saturday.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • In honor of the hip, shouldn't you do ham or a rump roast?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Lovenox is much easier than Coumadin/warfarin.... No blood draws to see how thin your blood gets! Some folks can't stand the idea of injecting themselves!

• Ladeback69
    In honor of the hip, shouldn't you do ham or a rump roast?
    <br I like your idea, I may have to try a rump roast. Not sure whether to do it low and slow or at around 350 like in an oven

Kansas City, Mo.
  • In honor of the hip, shouldn't you do ham or a rump roast?
    Rump roast sounds perfect!

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Seems easy to me.  Point your cane and tell someone what to do!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @Ladeback69 I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    How about a chicken. Something under 4#s just in case?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Ladeback69
    timekpr1 said:
    Seems easy to me.  Point your cane and tell someone what to do!

I'm using a walker right now, hope to be to a cane by this coming Thursday. Then I can get outside and cook.

Kansas City, Mo.