Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dire flame fat wood

Options
I saw this at my local Ace. guy told me it is sappy pine, that's why it lights so easily. the box says no additives. I'm going to use to get started and see what happens. what do y'all think?
MBGE in Charleston

Comments

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Dura flame
    MBGE in Charleston

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I bought some on a close-out in Winn Dixie a few years back and did not like the after taste unless you let it burn for some time.  Pine and its sappy cousins are never recommended due to the creosote if my old memory is still active at age 70.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I don't like them at all. I found that they greatly affected the flavor of the food (not in a good way). I used them 3 times and then chucked em in the trash.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I wouldn't use it on an Egg. Softwood with LOTS of sap, which is why it lights so easy. Used to use them to light the fireplace, but would never use in a cooker.
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Another vote against them in your BGE! Use in a fireplace is fine as they really do work, but too stinky for too long for the confinement an egg provides!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.