Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2" thick rib-eye

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Man those look good! Nice job. :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    That is the best looking steak I've ever seen!

:-/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Did the cook happen??? :)>-
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2014
    Let me finish my question since it appears not to have made it to my original post.  I have a 2" thick rib-eye to cook.  It weighs 1.5 pounds.  Looking for suggestions on the best way to cook it.  I am hoping the experts speak!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Sounds like a perfect steak for doing caveman style
  • timekpr1
    It is for my wife.  She likes medium-rare.  Me, I am a hamburger guy.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Are you saying that you'd rather have a burger than a 2" thick rib-eye???
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • timekpr1
    Yup
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Reverse sear all the way. 250 until 115 then crank the egg to 600 or so and sear for 60 to 90 seconds per side. Edge to edge medium rare that no other method will give you outside of Sous Vide.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    @timekpr1‌
    The reverse sear is a fantastic way to cook steaks. I don't know what accessories you have but if you don't have the capability to do a reverse sear then you can do it the Weber Way and get good results. Just heat the egg to between 400-450 degrees and lay the steaks on at regular factory height and flip them every 1-2 minutes to keep from scorching. Do this until they reach your desired level of doneness. This method works just fine if you don't have the means to set up for a reverse sear. Good luck my friend. Let me add that I'm no expert. Just trying to help.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• timekpr1
    edited August 2014
    I will try this tonight.  Egg 250 degrees.  Pellet grill - HOT.  Place a cast iron pan on the pellet grill heat deflector.  Cook her steak on the BGE to internal temperature of 110-ish.  Then drop it on the cast iron to sear.  My wife is not interested in fancy markings on her steaks.  Some salt, pepper, a good sear and she is happy.
  • timekpr1
    edited August 2014
    Since I am going to be searing in a blazing hot cast iron pan do I cook direct or indirect, raised or standard grate level on the Egg?  Thanks for all the suggestions.  SGH, from what I have read on here, you are one of the Eggsperts
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can do indirect. Just let the CI preheat under the plate setter while you do the "reverse" part(grid pan, PS legs down, second grid). Then, lift off the PS and crank the heat. The pan will already be plenty hot. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Then your wife is in for a treat as the best way to sear a steak is in a cast iron pan. Nothing better than a nice mahogany crust on a steak.

I always roast my steaks raised direct above the felt. Never had one overshoot so I honestly don't see the need to go indirect. One less thing to remove when you toss your cast iron pan in the egg.

Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

I made thick ribeyes tonite on the LG BGE- and I did them with cast iron grid and INDIRECT setup with spider and stone from CGS.  got the BGE up to about 650 F, put the ribeyes on and shut the lid.  3 mins, then rotate, 3 min more, then flip, 2 mins, rotate, 2 min more and then off.

These steaks were 2" thick and unreal.  Char crust with cross hatch pattern, med-rare inside and they buttery.  Dry rub of seasoned salt and a little pepper and I did not put oil on them.  Doing them on hi heat, with the stone between the fire and the meat with the heat retaining capabilities of the cast iron grid was the best way I've made steaks thus far on the BGE. I regret not taking picts but they smelled so good we couldn't wait to tear into them when we pulled them off the grill

All I can say is WOW.  These ribeyes that we enjoyed tonite were NOT prime, got them from Safeway in Phoenix on sale for $6.88 per lb and each one was about $17,00 so these were laahge hunks o meat, and they were better than the ribeye I ate at Morton's the last time I was there.  All I can say is WOW.  Many thanks BGE!

This was the closest I've come to being able to broil a steak (can't get the meat UNDER the fire but by doing indirect with a HOT grill, and keeping lid closed to control flare ups yields incredible results.

Can't wait to fire up the BGE again tomorrow nite!