Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need tritip advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long do you typically cook your tritips and at what temp? I did a few recently and keep over cooking them even when I try to pull them at 125. The last was done at 350 for about 45 minutes with no sear. I guess I need to pull at a lower temp. The first one I did involved a sear at the beginning and it came out dry.[p]What I really want is results like this: (courtesy of tach18K)
http://home.comcast.net/~the5kennys/tritip.html

Comments

• BGEJeff
    Options
    Chris_B,[p]I havw always seared at TRex temps 2 mins a side, Rest 20 Mins then at 400 till 120 internal. I get 10 to 15 degree carry over every time. They come out pretty close to your picture.[p]Jeff

• Jeff,[p]How long are you typically grilling at 400 for? I guess I need to account for the 10-15 degree rise when deciding when to pull my tritip. I like my beef the rare side of medium rare.

• Chris_B,
    Have you tested your thermometers for accuracy? I have always trusted my eyes rather than a meat thermometer. A small slice with a knife always tells how done your tri-tip is. If you slice your tri-tip into steaks cook them hot and fast. No sear
    and rest is necessary. All of my tri-tips are now cut into steaks and grilled hot and fast about 4 minute per side.Medium rare or slightly more rare is the best! Try your tri-tip as steaks, you will enjoy it more!

• Kamelcus
    Options
    Chris_B,
    Do you marinade your tri-tips? I usually marinade mine for 48hrs before cooking. My usual method is cooking with indirect heat @ 300 degrees for about an hour and pull it @ about 145 degrees. Yes, common sense would tell you that it should be over done, but every time I do this it comes out perfect (at least for my family). The ends of the tri-tip tend to be well done while the middle section is a nice pinkish-red medium. My suggestion would be to try marinating longer and take it off the egg at a lower temp.