Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs, Zuc, and Potatoes

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So had an office day today and with the family returning this afternoon I figured I'd egg something they could enjoy for tonight.

I ran over to WM and picked up a couple racks of Beef Back Ribs, got the XL fired up, and prepped them. Pulled the membrane, gave them a nice coat of worcestershire sauce and then coated with Montreal Steak seasoning. I figured these are the bottom portion of ribeye, so why not?

I figured since I was about 20' away from the egg and had plenty of time and my Maverick I was going to try for 225* grid. I managed to keep it there for most of the 7.5 hours, occasionally it drifted up a bit and eventually I let it settle in at 235* +/-.

The one end of each rack was much thicker than the other. The thick end was the money, nice bite. The thin had good flavor, just not enough meat to hardly make it worth it.

This evening got the small up to 400* and tossed pouches of cubed red potatoes in the small for about 45 minutes, then moved them over to the XL to keep them warm while I put the zucchini on the small. Potatoes were seasoned with OO and SPOG, the zuc had OO and S&P. Nice little dinner. Now I'm sipping a bit of Maker's Mark and getting ready to turn in. Need to leave the house around 5:30 tomorrow morning.

This is the first time I've been happy with my results from Beef Back Ribs without foiling and adding liquid etc. Let them go until the thickest portion is probing tender and don't worry about "drying" them out. They are dried out when you get them to well done temp. All you are doing after that is rendering fat and concealing the fact the meat is overdone. If anything these could have taken another hour or so and been fine. Of course, you could up the temps and shorten the cook time.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @DMW.Nice to have the family back to a scrumptious meal

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Oh man, I love me some beef ribs!  Nice job!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Let me know next time you are doing these, I will be heading over

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I wish I was you!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.