Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Egg?

Snowman
Snowman Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have their egg freeze shut? It's happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks. The first time I started a fire from the bottom and that worked pretty well for getting it unstuck. I stuck a meat fork between the lid and the base in hope of that being able to gently pry it open when it happened again. Well that didn't quite work out as expected. Had to light another fire from the bottom. Thinking about putting a trash bag between the lid and the base. Has anybody tried this? The only problem is if I do that, then if it doesn't work, i'll not be able to light a fire. Any help or ideas appreciated.[p]Jason[p]
PC100007.jpg

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Several folks have reported that they just drop a burning sheet of wadded up newspaper down the top. Others have used hairdryers either through the bottom or top vent. I like your idea of putting a garbage bag between the top and bottom. Since it will be two-ply, I think you will be safe even if it sticks to both the bottom and top. You should be able to open the top and have the two plys separate even if stuck. Then you can work them off. You might get the same result by lining the edge with two sheets of wax paper. That way you could still start a fire if necessary. Of course, the easiest solution is just move south and join us. :-)
  • Snowman,
    You can put some aluminum foil around the edge to prevent the gaskets from freezing together. You could still build a fire if need be then.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Okay, I am a southerner with no experience when it comes to snow and ice, but would'nt using a cover over the egg and table prevent this?
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Snowman,
    What would be wrong with just leaving the lid propped open about an inch, maybe with a piece of rubber or foam?