Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

attaining that nice dark bark without using sugar???

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would love to have some input on how to attain that beautiful dark "bark" I see in a lot of the pictures on this forum. The one tricky thing is that I would prefer not to use sugar. I have been working hard for a little over two years to loose some weight and have lost 70lbs exercising and using an "atkins" type diet. Do I need to generate more smoke or are there some alternate marinades that I can try? I like to do pork butts and briskets so ideas for either would be appreciated. Merry Christmas.[p]J "thinner but not skinny" NK

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JNK,[p]Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and lost 59 lbs in about a year and a half.[p]My personal opinion is that there isn't really enough sugar in the rub to make that big a difference, especially when you consider the distribution on a good size piece of meat like a butt or brisket. But if you really don't want to include it, what about using Splenda, the sugar/Splenda blend, or the Splenda brown sugar? Unlike Sweet and Low or Equal, I find that Splenda doesn't have that icky after taste that most other substitutes do.[p]Happy Holidays,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I prefer Splenda as well and use it in beverages. Do you think that it will produce similar results as sugar with respect to texture and appearance?[p]JNK
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    JNK,
    I think a lot of the commercial rubs designed for things like butts are pretty low in sugar in relationship to the size of meat that you plan on cooking. I am not sure if that littl bit that may (or may not) be in the rub will have any ill affect on your diet. I say if you are doing a butt, lather that bad boy up with yellow mustard, shake some rub on there and after a little time, you should be nice and dark with a beautiful (and tasty) bark. [p]I have also seen some people just use salt and pepper on their butts and have had a great color to them that way. It is not as black, but the taste and texture was still pretty good.[p]HTH

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Chrispy Bob
    Options
    JNK,
    You may want to consider the Splenda for Baking..it has some real sugar in it. I don't think pure Splenda will caramelize(sp?)and give the color you are looking for.[p]Just my $0.02[p]CB

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JNK,[p]I agree with Crispy Bob. The Splenda for baking would be my choice, since it's part Splenda and part real sugar, which would give the carmelization you're after. [p]Tonia
    :~)