Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Latest on xxl egg

Options
Back earlier a few said they had gotten the xxl egg.Just wanted to see if anyone had cooked on one yet and how you liked it.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ has his, I believe.

that's what I thought but hadden seen any reviews
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I saw it at a home show yesterday.  It is HUGE.  The wife could barely lift the dome.  I am guessing a whole bag to fill it.  You could probably smoke for a week on it and never need to add fuel.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I do have the new xxl. I have only used it 1 time so far. Took a full bag of lump to fill the fire box. I did a low and slow with it doing 4 shoulders. Temp held steady at 275 dome for the 14 hour cook. I was surprised to see.it really did not burn thru as much lump as I thought it would.

I could have used the xl for the cook but wanted to fire it up. So far so good.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I do have the new xxl. I have only used it 1 time so far. Took a full bag of lump to fill the fire box. I did a low and slow with it doing 4 shoulders. Temp held steady at 275 dome for the 14 hour cook. I was surprised to see.it really did not burn thru as much lump as I thought it would. I could have used the xl for the cook but wanted to fire it up. So far so good.

thanks for info
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Just today I saw one at my local dealer's.  Friggin huge however,  I found it easy to lift the dome but had to refocus my eyes to see the bottom of the fire-box :)   Nice to see one "live" just to check the box.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Just today I saw one at my local dealer's.  Friggin huge however,  I found it easy to lift the dome but had to refocus my eyes to see the bottom of the fire-box :)   Nice to see one "live" just to check the box.

Checking the box is having that bad boy in your backyard.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I was at my dealers today and they were cooking on their XXL I think I counted 9 racks of baby backs laying flat. It is a beast for sure

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ yeah i can see 9 racks easy enough on the xxl.

Sorry to say though if I'm doing 9 racks I'm lighting the meat monster up instead so i have more control of the temps.

Clinton, Iowa
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I thought the XXL was the meat monster? :)

Brandon, MS
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Naw....this is the meat monster

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Are you sure the Meat Monster isn't a little heavy for the 250??

analyze adapt overcome

• badinfluence
    Options
    Naw only 2000lbs empty that old ford still going strong with 191k moles

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Miles even...dang fat fingers

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Jus messin wit cha!!! What year is the Ford? Looks like it was still the square body style.

analyze adapt overcome

• badinfluence
    Options
    It's a 89 crew cab. Love that old truck

Clinton, Iowa
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

It's a 89 crew cab. Love that old truck

@badinfluence‌ Don't get rid of it. These new monstrosities are compensating for something.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ no I won't sell or get rid of the old girl. It's alot cheaper to fix it then pay 500 for a new one. If it was rusted or something but nota spot or rust on her and it pulls anything I need it to.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get 4 xls for what I was quoted for an xxl and could do 25 racks for the same price.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Lit read my sig. If I need to i can do 100 racks at the same time if I wanted to.

Someone might call the fire department if I did light everything at one time though plus never had a need to cook that many at once either.
    And I could not buy 4 xl for the price I got the xxl for maybe 2 xl and a large.

Clinton, Iowa
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    If you ever do a clean burn, I'm gonna need video on that... :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ Do you gave a pic of your cooking area? I would love to see the whole extended family.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @BuckeyeBob I am going to be home today some time and will try and get one of the whole family to post.

I have been up in Wisconsin for the last week on vacation so only have the mini here.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ I still have 4 eggs and have had up to 6 in the past as well as other cookers. After looking at the xxl I would choose even 2 xls over the xxl. Just my opinion though.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Lit I do agree to a point. If I was told 5000.00 then no I would not have bought it. Even if I was told 4000.00 I still don't think I would have bought it. Can't say exactly what I paid as my dealer asked me not to so I'm going to respect that. Just saying dealers must have a pretty big markup if asking 4 to 5 fore one.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited July 2014
    Options
    XXL Pricing is starting to fluctuate by the various retailers in an effort to move volume.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• stevethegreat
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ where were you in Wisconsin?
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • badinfluence
    Options

@badinfluence‌ where were you in Wisconsin?

@stevethegreat‌ right now at the dells gonna eat breakfast ant pack to head home. On Thursday we were in sheboygan doing some salmon fishing on lake Michigan. That was my most enjoyable time of the vacation

Clinton, Iowa
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ very cool. Going to Paul Bunyan's so you won't have to eat for the rest of the week? :) Fishing does sound pretty enjoyable, especially with this cool summer.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Nope didn't do Paul Bunyan just made food right here at the campground. Might come back up in Sept when the salmon ar we spanning but don't know if I can get anymore time away from work. Sometimes being self employed really stinks.

Clinton, Iowa