Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature measurements

Options
TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
I do the vast majority of my cooking without probes. I didn't really want chance it tonight so I hooked up the party q and the maverick. Dome is 275. Party q is 235. And my favorite, the maverick is 257. It's not over the coals. Grrrrr

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Be careful or you will go into info overload. What are you cooking that is so temp critical?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TonyA
    Options
    Nothing really. A 12 lb brisket and a 9 lb butt
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would just go with PartyQ. To much info will drive you nutz

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can check the calibration with boiling water.  However different spots on the grill will be different temps.  You want a representative temperature.  Connect the probes to the same spot, they should be very close or one or more of them is out of calibration.  Like Mattman3969 said, don't sweat it.
    Options
    Where are your Mav and PartyQ probes clipped? I just put 3 big butts on and there wasn't grid space so I clipped my PartyQ probe to the dome thermo stem. I'm using both my Mav probes in the 2 smaller butts. I'll check in the morning, I'm sure it will be fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm a big proponent against temperature overload with the BGE-all it is is a reference to enable you to know what is generally happening with the cook.  The critical piece of the "what thermo do I believe" is "what thermo is calibrated?"  There are thermal gradients within the BGE as noted above (and just like in your clock box in the kitchen).  Get comfortable with how the cooks respond to a given reference and go from there.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TonyA
    Options
    Yeah I'm not overly worried about it. As I said I usually don't watch. I woke up and all 3 were about 235. I don't quite understand high reading on the maverick, they were right next to eachother on the grid. Meats are about 175 each. Looking good.