Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two pork shoulder

I'm going to be smoking my first pork shoulder... Also using my Digi Q DX2 for the first time! GIDDY UP!

My question is, I had to buy 2 slabs of meat. A 3 and a 3.5. Seeing I only have one probe, do I  "probe" the smaller one?

And is their a consensus on 1.5 or 2 hours per pound? Also assuming I wouldn't double that time because they're 2 slabs of meat...

Thanks forum peeps!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes, I would put the probe in the smaller one. When you get close to finish and start probing for tenderness, check both at the same time.

And yes, having 2 on does not change cook time. I've never cooked ones that small, perhaps others that have will chime in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Time per pound depends on your cooking temp. I pull it when the internal temp is 195 and I cook at 225*. That usually works out to be 1.5h per lb.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hey, buddy, wherethehellyabeen?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    Just falling through stairs at fires RRP! Ha, I'm getting too old for this job! How are you sir? I still need that chocolate cake recipe from eggfest! MM good!
  • RICHIED777
    RICHIED777 Posts: 91
    DMW- I didn't want to mess up with a larger one. Ha, only feeding 3 this time.