Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas BBQ GURU and the Large Egg

Options
Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large Egg and I think can swing the getting a BBQ Guru for my Christmas presant from my wife.
The $200 one. Can anyone tell me what options to get?
The options I can see are fan size, extender cable and power supply.
Thanks Bill

Comments

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    Sparky,
    I think that will cover it. If you have the large egg, get the 10 cfm fan and don't forget the fan adapter that fits into the vent at the bottom of the egg. Most people will also suggest you buy an extra probe assembly so you have an extra in case the first one fries. I wished I had heard this when I ordered mine - you get it with free shipping when yo order it with the main assembly.[p]Brian

• TideJoe
    Options
    Sparky,[p]I got the 10cfm fan, 6 ft cables, and adapters for both my eggs (large and small).
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Sparky,[p]Four pork butts to try it all out on.[p]You'll be so happy you will want to give samples to everybody you know.[p]DD
  • Smokey Jo
    Options
    Sparky,
    I started out with the 10 fan and power supply but didn't order the extender cable. That was a mistake and after groveling around trying to see the darned thing at the bottom of the egg, I ordered the extender cable. I have been very pleased with the set-up. Jo

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Sparky,
    I recently talked my wife into the same present. I talked to one of the guys at BBQ Guru when I got mine about whether I should buy another set of leads. He told me they're hardwired, and if you take care of them, you shouldn't need another pair. He suggested building an aluminum foil "bridge" across your grate from the edge of the dome over to the meat, and laying your probe wires on top of that. This way, if you ever get flare-ups, the probes are protected. He also recommended building this bridge over one of the legs of the plate setter, so you have even more protection between the fire and the wires.[p]Good luck on that Christmas present. It's a great feeling when you see a little box from BBQ Guru left at your door (and pretending you didn't see it when your wife hides it away...)

• Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the help everybody!