Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Customer Service

Well Thermapen stopped working at dinner. Called at 6pm eastern and someone answered in 2 rings. Sent me to customer support. Will look at if send it in. Free fix or replacement as long as I did not abuse it. If did $25 to replace. Great service so far.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Good to hear this as I have one. And knock on smoking hardwood haven't had a problem. But, it's always nice to hear of exceptional customer service. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I had one and did abuse it and told them so. They sent me a new one for $18.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That is great customer service. So refreshing to hear it. So many companies don't seem to take care of their customers anymore. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    They are top notch folks that stand behind their top notch products. I actually had one of their reps tell me that they really try to accommodate eggers. When I asked why the response was that Thermopen gets huge free promotion and publicity by eggers. Made sense to me. I have had only great service from them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Was pleasantly surprised. Nice when you buy a great product and they stand behind it.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    That sounds great. Awesome that you can replace for $25 if "abused". So many companies seem to find a reason to charge again if possible these days.

@travisstrick How do you abuse one of these? Leave out in the weather? Check temps of everything in arms distance? Just curious. Although for $18, ok, I'd pay for another one I felt I got my money out of.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Left out in Texas weather many many times and dropped in 400 degree oil. It worked for months after that but eventually gave up.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Few years ago my first Thermapen died out of warranty, they replaced it free of charge anyway.  I used the money saved to buy my 2nd one ... don't want to be caught without one again!
    canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I should give them a call. Mine is slow to display the screen when opening. No idea why.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Mine doesn't read in tenths of a degree like they show in the photos. Only reads in whole digits.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Left out in Texas weather many many times and dropped in 400 degree oil. It worked for months after that but eventually gave up.
    I think 400F is within design parameters.

Mine doesn't read in tenths of a degree like they show in the photos. Only reads in whole digits.

There are DIP switches you can use to choose if you want that. I don't recall if there are in the battery compartment or where.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DMW said:

There are DIP switches you can use to choose if you want that. I don't recall if there are in the battery compartment or where.
    They're in that compartment. F or C and tenths.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I think 400F is within design parameters.

I'm not so sure. The tip/probe likely is, but I don't think the body is.

I was baking a boule in the egg last weekend and used the thermapen through the top vent to see if the bread was done. Dome temp was about 375F. Nearly burned my hand holding the thermapen through the top like that. Came back inside and the thermapen body/case was really warm and the temp was reading 100F+ indoors. Put it in the fridge to cool the body down and it returned to functioning normally.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    @caliking - I was kidding.  I can't believe it still worked after that.
    neither did I! Taught me a lesson though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Not to threadjack, but speaking of companies that stand by their products - SimpleHuman, the company that makes those expensive trash cans you find in Bed Bath and whatever. I had mine for about 10 years and went to step on the foot piece to raise the lid and it heard a "snap", so i flip it over and sure enough the "rocker piece" on the bottom that leverages the top open had split in half. So I emailed them and asked if I could purchase a replacement one and they emailed me back within about 30 minutes and said "We apologize that you had an issue with your trash can. We stand by our products 100% and we've actually recently re-designed that piece out of metal instead of plastic, may we please have your address so that we can ship you a replacement?". That was it. They didn't ask how old it was, nothing. I was very impressed and thought I'd share.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Just received a call.

Free replacement, sending it out today.

Great company
  • The were good to me too, replacing a probe for free, no questions asked.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I should give them a call. Mine is slow to display the screen when opening. No idea why.
    Mine is too.  I have to fidget with mine almost every time (open it a little more, open all the way then close it a little, etc).  I think the switch that is built into the swivel mechanism must be going bad.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    take it apart and squirt some deoxit on the switch.  This stuff works miracles.