Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Joint Help

Tomorrow I leave on a trip across the country and need any help you folks can give on great BBQ joints to try.  My plan so far is to go from Atlanta, Ga., to Birmingham, Alabama, to Memphis, Tn, to Little Rock, Ark to Tulsa, Ok, to Wichita, Kansas, to Denver, Co, to Yellowstone Natl Park, to Glacier, Natl Park, to Helena, Montana, to Billings, Montana, to Fargo ND, to Sioux Falls, SD, to Des Moines, Iowa, to Peoria Illinois, to St. Louis, Mo, to Clarksville, Tn, to Chattanooga, Tn and then back to Atlanta.  I would be willing to adjust the route somewhat if a really great joint is nearby.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  I don't want to stop at any ole BBQ restaurant since
Fayetteville, Ga

Comments

• BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Whoops, pushed post before finishing
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    BobsBGE said:
    Tomorrow I leave on a trip across the country and need any help you folks can give on great BBQ joints to try.  My plan so far is to go from Atlanta, Ga., to Birmingham, Alabama, to Memphis, Tn, to Little Rock, Ark to Tulsa, Ok, to Wichita, Kansas, to Denver, Co, to Yellowstone Natl Park, to Glacier, Natl Park, to Helena, Montana, to Billings, Montana, to Fargo ND, to Sioux Falls, SD, to Des Moines, Iowa, to Peoria Illinois, to St. Louis, Mo, to Clarksville, Tn, to Chattanooga, Tn and then back to Atlanta.  I would be willing to adjust the route somewhat if a really great joint is nearby.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  I don't want to stop at any ole BBQ restaurant since
    Hey Bob-  Sounds like a fantastic trip!  More scenery in Montana than renown BBQ joints but there are a few (few and far between).  I am a wealth of info for your travels via Yellowstone, Glacier, Teton NP, Jackson Hole, WY, etc.  If I can bestow some local Montana knowledge your way, shoot me a note at grillingmontana @ gmail and I will be happy to make some travel suggestions if needed.  PS: Consider skipping Helena and come to Missoula on your way to Glacier.  I will probably end up inviting your clan my way for some egging as well-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• BobsBGE
    Thanks for the suggestion on Missoula.  I'll be leaving Yellowstone and heading to Glacier.  Helena looked like the quickest route to Glacier but I may just alter my plans and travel thru Missoula and then go back through Helena.  Such beautiful country it's hard to decide.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • You must eat at Saw's BBQ in Homewood, Alabama on Oxmoor Road. Some of the best pulled pork I have ever had. Buy some sauce to take home as well. 
  • While near Denver if you make it to the Boulder/Longmont area go ahead and eat at Georgia Boys BBQ. Atlanta transplants that are serving up BBQ to the west. 
  • BobsBGE
    Thanks Danny.  I should be able to make that by lunchtime if I can just get going.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Sounds like an amazing trip!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    If your going into Yellowstone through the East Gate, Bubba's BBQ in Cody, WY is just okay. Wyoming isn't all that big on BBQ. I suggest a good buffalo steak or burger. Don't forget the Rocky Mountain oysters as an appetizer(must try). Cody also has the nightly Buffalo Bill gun fight in the streets, a nightly rodeo, and a huge gun museum.

If your going through Jackson, WY, the Gun Barrel is a neat restaurant that serves wild game and buffalo.

In addition to Yellowstone and Glacier, if your travel permits, you should drive through the Tetons. Teton National Park actually connects to Yellowstone.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    If you're not going through Texas then you're wasting your time looking for BBQ. ;)
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited July 2014
    In the west end of Little Rock, there is a pretty decent BBQ place called Whole Hog Cafe. In any case, sounds like a great trip, have fun!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Oklahoma Joe's.  

3002 West 47th Avenue,
    Kansas City, Kansas 66103
    (913) 722-3366

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Went to a car show today and seen this truck and thought it was funny that I mentioned Rocky Mountain oysters earlier. Told ya, it's a must try appetizer.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Atlanta - Fox Brothers Birmingham - Saw's
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • BobsBGE
    Well I went to Saws in Homewood for lunch today at Danny's suggestion.  Unfortunately it was closed for July 5th, 6th and 7th.  I was very disappointed since it looked exactly like a BBQ joint should look.  I doubt I'll be going through Homewood on the way back but my mouth is still watering for some good Q.  BTW, even the pizza place next door was closed so I was really out of luck.  Hope that's not an indication of how the trip will go.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE
    If you're not going through Texas then you're wasting your time looking for BBQ. ;)
    I almost made the jaunt thru Texas but after living in Dallas for a few years, I wasn't sure I could stand the heat.  I agree, it's among the best for BBQ.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE
    stemc33 said:
    If your going into Yellowstone through the East Gate, Bubba's BBQ in Cody, WY is just okay. Wyoming isn't all that big on BBQ. I suggest a good buffalo steak or burger. Don't forget the Rocky Mountain oysters as an appetizer(must try). Cody also has the nightly Buffalo Bill gun fight in the streets, a nightly rodeo, and a huge gun museum.

If your going through Jackson, WY, the Gun Barrel is a neat restaurant that serves wild game and buffalo.

In addition to Yellowstone and Glacier, if your travel permits, you should drive through the Tetons. Teton National Park actually connects to Yellowstone.
    I've had Rocky Mountain oysters and it pains me to say they're great.  We'll be in Jackson and will try the Gun Barrel if time permits and I think I'll be going thru Cody too.  Thanks for those suggestions.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE

Oklahoma Joe's.  

3002 West 47th Avenue,
    Kansas City, Kansas 66103
    (913) 722-3366

I'll have to make sure I'm going thru KC at either lunch of dinner time so I can try Oklahoma Joe's out.  Thanks for the tip.

Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE
    nealcr1 said:
    Atlanta - Fox Brothers Birmingham - Saw's
    I agree on Fox.  My next door neighbor worked there for several years and it became a favorite.  As for Saws, if it only had been open.......
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • If your going to be in KC for Oklahoma Joes you need to eat light and then head straight to Arthur Bryants.

I'm a transplant to the KC area and Bryants is tops on my list no matter what you like.

It seems the locals tend to like OK Joe's / Gates / Jack Stack's more than Arthur Bryant's. Its wierd i know but everyone I know that comes here from out of town makes AB's a must stop on their list.
  • BobsBGE
    I've had Arthur Bryant's and it is delicious.  Maybe I can get a to go bag of Q
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • In the Des Moines area Jethros and Smokey D's are note worthy, it's not knock your socks off amazing but it's pretty dang good. I prefer Jethros as they have a creamed corn like I've never had, it's got a real heavy smoke to it, pretty tasty if ya ask me. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either. There's also a place called Woody's that the GF raves about their ribs but I've never tried them....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    In Memphis go to Cozy Corner.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Also if there's any other style of restaurants that you would like to try, I've got Des Moines pretty we'll scooped out...and if you want to just hang out with a fellow egghead I could throw something on, just hit me up
  • BobsBGE
    Dang Foghorn, I'm already past Memphis.  BTW the roads are terrible in that area.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE
    I think I hit Des Moines later in the trip mcardella.  And thanks for those suggestions.  I'll definitely try one of them.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE
    I want to give a hearty thanks to all of you for helping a weary traveler find decent grub.  This is an amazingly helpful forum and a wonderful group of guys and gals.  I hope I can return the favor to each and every one of you.
    Fayetteville, Ga