Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pasty's with pic's

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Up North in the U.P. of Michigan, northern Wisconsin and Minnesota is a special meat pie called the pasty. Pronounced: pass-tee. Think of a meat loaf in a pie pastry and you have a pasty. Cornish miners brought the pasty with them when working the iron mines in the Lake Superior region and soon this easy to eat meal became popular as a standard for the working man. There are a few places that specialize in pasty’s and we have one in Appleton called The Pasty Coop. Mike, the proprietor, told me how he makes them so I could go ahead and try my own. So I did and I baked them in the egg. I think they turned out good but they were a lot of work to make. Lot’s of chopping and dicing and mixing. Mike knows that I’ll be back.[p]Here they are just before I pulled them off the egg. Three we ate, three were frozen for another day. The ingredients I used were; diced potato, carrot, onion, rutabaga mixed with ground chuck, seasoned with salt and pepper.
The original “meal on the go” from the 1800’s.

IMG_1403.jpg

I’m happy to say that my sourdough starter is happy resting in my frig. All I need to do is take it out and make a sponge with it the night before bread baking day to make another batch of delicious bread. I’m thinking of rye bread for my next bread day. Hot Ruben sandwiches I see in the crystal ball.
Here is some French style sourdough in a steam bent hickory basket I made.

IMG_1399.jpg

Comments

• vettes2
    Options
    Will you share the (rest of) the recipe for the Pasty's? Also, at what temp do you cook your sourdough bread? Thanks!!
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Hi Clay,
    Of course there is the other pasty that is pronounced slightly differently and used for a completely different purpose. The deer hunters "up Nort,hey" know about these kind too!
    Nice job with your project though. They look mighty authentic. Were they moist enough inside for you? That's always been my problem...never even tried them on the egg though.[p]Been thinking of reubens myself. Do you do your corned beef on the egg? I never have and have seen mixed reviews on the forum about the smokiness being a bit over the top.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ClayQ,
    thats my kinda breakfast. i get little pork pies from my butcher for on the go. he makes them with different meats, sometimes a little potato, his standard pork, or chicken. one of his best is a reuben pie using ground corned beef the saurkraut and dressing. might go good in a pasty.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]My inlaws are from the UP, and probably make those 'pay-stees' as i call them (drives them nuts). Yours look much better! I've convinced them to make gravy if I'm eatin.[p]Scott

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    WDAN,
    I did corned beef briskets on two occasions with the egg and the first turned out very salty, the second was still too salty for my taste even though I pre-soaked and rinsed the brisket several times. This winter I'm using the crock pot,--- unless I corn my own brisket, if time allows. Rye bread will be baked on the egg though. :o) I'll let you know how the Reuben sandwiches turn out.(thinking of a Reuben casserole also)[p]The pasty's were ok, not as good as Mike's but tasted like a pasty. I cook on the lean side so the richness was not there-as they are with the ones from Hurley-Ironwood. [p]Stay warm my friend,
    Clay[p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    eggor,[p]I get yelled at when I suggest gravy. "A true UP'er only uses Ketchup."[p]E

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ClayQ,
    great pics. ..but once you've seen 'sweeney todd', you'll never eat meat pies again!! . .. .reminds me of seeing angela lansberry singing 'a little priest. ..' every time ...LOL[p]mad 'see, i do have a little culture' max

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Man, that is one reason that I miss living in Michigan. I remember summer trips to Marquette and getting pasties. I like them with ketchup or gravy and an Old Style to go along with it....not much better....unless you visit the Mars Cheese Castle.....now that is excitement!

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!