Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled vs Chopped Barbecue

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just came across this comment in an article about NC Q. Never really thought about it.

"To pull pork you need to cook it until 185 to 195 degrees.  But to chop it the internal temp need only reach about 165 to 180, leading to juicier hunks and also more fat.  "

Chopped beats pulled, hands down. Even at 195-200°. Just never thought about the lower temp required if you're gonna chop it anyway. Done sooner? Even better flavor? Count me in! Next time.....

Yet another article about NC Q. The REAL barbecue! 
:))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I don't know....I'm not sold
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa

• Most BBQ places in NC serve chopped, and I aways assumed it was so that they could mix parts of the pig, and get more consistency in the product. But less cooking time is also a benefit to the restaurant. And more pork fat can only make it taste better.

Given the recent thread on re-heating Q, it would also make sense that chopped would fare better re-heated, as it has more fat and natural moisture.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Neither am I. Yet. But it makes sense. Why do you slice London Broil or Flank steak into thin cross grain slices? Because they are tough cuts and slicing them that way helps make them tender. Why not the same for pork? Chopping it is like slicing against the grain... in SPADES!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    The reason you can chop at that temp is because it is whole hog. You chop and mix all parts, making for a juicy and tender finished product. If you just cook butts, it will be tough if chopped at that temp.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• badinfluence
    Are we talking a whole hog here or what cut?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Are we talking a whole hog here or what cut?
    The article was written, at least in part, about Q joints that cook whole hog. I do not, though I may do a picnic and a butt next time. I'm still gonna cook my next whatever to 170-175-ish and see what happens when I chop it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• badinfluence
    Ok now it makes a lot more sense. When I do whole hogs I pull them at 160 also or the hams and loin are toast. Then everything is mixed and chopped. I rarely do whole hogs except for large family functions as it really is cheaper to do shoulders which is what most everyone likes anyways.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I have cooked and chopped at home. Also I have dined at most of the infamous carolina joints East and Lexington. I think when I pull butts and picnics at 195 my texture and consistency matches theirs.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I did this whole hog to pulling temps and pulled last year. Was the best pulled pork I've ever had. I'm doing it again a week from now and plan to do the same, as I want to reproduce the same results if possible. Now, I'm not from NC, nor have I ever eaten BBQ from NC, so I might be completely off base.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    +1 for pulled its more moist IMO. I've screwed up and done chopped plenty of times.
    Seattle, WA
  • badinfluence
    DMW said:

I did this whole hog to pulling temps and pulled last year. Was the best pulled pork I've ever had. I'm doing it again a week from now and plan to do the same, as I want to reproduce the same results if possible. Now, I'm not from NC, nor have I ever eaten BBQ from NC, so I might be completely off base.

Looking at that hog I would say you are right on the money....dang it looks good

Clinton, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Don't you just love controversy?  =))

There is no question on pulled vs chopped. Chopped wins hands down. The only question is temp.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've never done a big, yet, but when I've taken pork butts to 195 the money muscle could either be sluiced or chopped from the firmness that I have found. I will be doing a few pork butts on the 4th so I can use my new bare claw shreading tools. I've never really had Carolina BBQ before. I would like to travel around the country and try some different BBQ from KC. I've had some East Texas BBQ and wasn't that impressed..
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Neither am I. Yet. But it makes sense. Why do you slice London Broil or Flank steak into thin cross grain slices? Because they are tough cuts and slicing them that way helps make them tender. Why not the same for pork? Chopping it is like slicing against the grain... in SPADES!!

I don't think the comparison is the same. To me, the chopped pork has a mushy texture. Pulled pork has the bite through texture I prefer. Chopped pork seems more like eating sandwich spread.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Photo Egg said:
    I don't think the comparison is the same. To me, the chopped pork has a mushy texture. Pulled pork has the bite through texture I prefer. Chopped pork seems more like eating sandwich spread.
    But Darian... we're talkin' PORK here. You are from Texas!  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    chopped is pretty good, though I prefer pulled. Sometimes when I'm rushed and have to pull (remove) the butt early the center hasn't reached pullability and I end up choping some. Still ends up great either way.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Just for the record I have pulled shoulders at 140 internal temp when going to chop instead of pull. These are always for personal consumption not the public. That being said I have also pulled them at 155 internal temp when chopping and serving to the public. Nothing wrong with it my opinion.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    To me pulled is so much better.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I think it depends on the size of the butt roast. A 4 lb butt has a higher percentage of bark compared to a 8 lb butt and I prefer it chopped. The larger butts are more moist and I prefer them pulled.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I tried a butt cooked to about 170° or so, and SLICED...not pulled or chopped. It was really good.

In fact I'm doing that again on Saturday just to make sure I remembered it right.
    Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @DMW‌ :-bd I'd tear that up! So Purdy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I prefer pulled.  I want my fat liquified.  It's not like it goes away.
    NOLA
  • badinfluence
    Well I'm right and everyone else is wrong so i say ....wait for it....wait for it....BOTH. If either are done correctly I love both. So there you have it.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I prefer pulled or coarse chop. It sometimes gets too mushy when chopped.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have done both and prefer pulled.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I realized whoever wrote it had no clue what they were talking about when they said pulled at 185. Ever tried to pull a shoulder at 185 degrees? Good luck. I never chop it not a fan at all. I do slice sometimes but I usually aim for 180-185 to slice and 195-200 to pull.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Chopped is BBQ. Everything else is just pulled pork. North Carolina represent.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

I don't care what u call it - just call me when it's ready!!!!  We are spoiled by the Lexington NC style BBQ here in the piedmont of NC.  Habits are hard to break...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Pulled wins hands down. I can't get into chopped. It's always seemed drier to me in fact, despite what they say.

There's a reason they have to add a thin vinegar sauce to it, to rehydrate it like an MRE! HAH! ;)

I prefer pulled though, little less work, slower pace, and I don't like eating it in a sammich much anymore.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • badinfluence
    I understand doing chopped for a whole hog only as you will never temp each part to be done at the same time.

that being said pulled is better imo

Clinton, Iowa