Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife evaluation

Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ran across this site today. Good write-up on a selected number of knives. I was surprised at the recommended brand. Did some checking on the brand and may even purchase one although my old Victorinox 7.5" chefs knife still works great. The Toy Man has to have new toys..[p]Toy Man
[ul][li]Knives[/ul]

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Toy Man,
    I posted a pic a little down of my Globals. With the Chefs knife in one week, I kept track and cut 28 ribeye racks, only used the chefs knife for this task and nothing else,because of the different sizes of ribeyes cut, i figure about 350 steaks were cut, the last ribeye was cut as smooth as the first ribeye using the global. I would guess what I cut in 2 weeks at work is equal to one year of household use. I am satisfied with my knives, haven't had to hit the steel yet.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Chef Wil,
    Where oh where are your prep cooks?!!

• Toy Man,
    You have to wonder about an "engineer" who calls a Granton edge "dimples", LOL!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Toy Man,[p]Wow I am surprised the Cutco's did so poorly, I purchased about $600 worth of them and am very happy with them. It may be time to upgrade to a new set of knives.
  • SmokingInMO,
    I'd say it's never time to upgrade if you are very happy with what you have. Sort of like wives, ya' know. Yeah, I could find one who didn't drop cellphones into portapotties, but hey, if that's the only thing I can complain about..... :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Chef Wil,
    i use 2 japanese style knives, a single beveled deba (global), and a bunmei oroshi. the bunmei is a much sharper knife and holds an edge for ever, but when its time to resharpen the bunmei is just plain work. the global sharpens in just a few minutes while i spent a few hours just to hone the edge back on the bunmei. they both keep an edge for a good year for heavey home use, but that global is a workhorse thats relatively easy to sharpen. ive had mine for a few years now, my only complaint with it is the back of the blade is pretty sharp and my hands get abraided a bit while using it. i should probably take a sander to the back of the blade. have they fixed this or are they still a little uncomfortable on the back of the blade where the handle meets the blade. im looking to get a deba for camp and it will be a global

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz,
    WIVES??????????????????????????????????????
    My brother had 6 or em and I have had two, that's why I'm now called Bordello. LOL
    Merry Xmas,
    Bordello