Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club Teak Furniture

Options
hapster
hapster Posts: 7,503
Wondering if anyone has purchased any of the teak furniture from Sam's Club...

Just ordered a 3 piece bistro set and I'm thinking about ordering the 7pc deep seating set with the Sunbrella cushions.

Anyone have any feedback good or bad?

Thanks!

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Is it solid teak, or some kind of finish, i. e. veneer, etc? Link?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    Options
    caliking said:
    Is it solid teak, or some kind of finish, i. e. veneer, etc? Link?
    Links above... supposed to be solid teak
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Nothing on the teak but the sunbrella stuff does fade.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • hapster
    Options
    MJG said:
    Nothing on the teak but the sunbrella stuff does fade.
    Thanks... I assume just about anything left outside will fade. Not so concerned with the fading as I am with how the sunbrella fabric holds up against wear.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Teak fades to grey.  My sister had a huge teak collection of outdoor furniture around her pool and it all faded to grey.  You can mitigate that if you keep it oiled.  Looks fine when it's grey, but better when oiled.
    Options
    Teak fades to grey.  My sister had a huge teak collection of outdoor furniture around her pool and it all faded to grey.  You can mitigate that if you keep it oiled.  Looks fine when it's grey, but better when oiled.
    I like the faded silver sheen look, just wondering about build quality and does it hold up. There are only a few reviews on Sam's site and I've been googling trying to find others to check before I pull the trigger on the big set
  • caliking
    Options
    That's a decent price if it's solid teak.

+1 for oiling. We have a swing chair outside made of mahogany. Was fading after a year or so. Oiled it with pure tung oil and it looks great again.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @hapster‌ I recently saw this set it looked to be well made.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @hapster - it will hold up well, especially if you oil it regularly.  The joinery is the weak point.  I would think they used mortise and tenon construction.  If it's just metal fasteners, I'd avoid.
    Options
    @hapster‌ I recently saw this set it looked to be well made.
    In person? They don't have it at any of the local clubs.

@caliking I've read for teak that you should use boiled linseed oil
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    hapster said:
    I like the faded silver sheen look, just wondering about build quality and does it hold up. There are only a few reviews on Sam's site and I've been googling trying to find others to check before I pull the trigger on the big set
    Build quality?  It says that it is constructed with mortise and tenon joinery.  That would imply that it is solid wood.  Mortise and tenon is the king of all woodworking joints, so I would say that it is put together pretty solid.

Living Large and XL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read it.  But I agree that's the best joinery. 
    Options
    i have an expensive teak rocker and some inexpensive teak tables, boxes, serving cart, they all have mortise and tenon but the big difference is the work they put into making one long/big piece of wood from two, those joints on the rocker have what looks like a 3 inch modified fingered dove tail with a huge amount of glue are compared to the inexpensive stuff. keep it grey, wipe once a year with a light solution water and bleach with a scotchbrite pad and it will last longer than if oiled. i buy my stuff when the pools are getting ready for winter closing, the stuff is always on sale in the fall at the pool places here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Keep it oiled.  I used to have teak on one of my boats.  For the maintenance aspect of keeping the wood looking like "Brown" natural wood its allot of work of cleaning and oiled.  On the boats we used Semco (http://www.semcoteakproducts.com/semco_products.htm).

I love the look of teak furniture just not the upkeep if kept out in the open.  I am sure they would last allot longer if they were not exposed to the sun/weather.

Garnerville, NY
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options

We recently bought a slate top table (bar height) with six barstools from Sams and we are really happy with it. It was easy to assemble and very heavy. The crew at Sams on a Sunday morning put the top on top of my car using a forklift and the large box of stools went inside the car with all the backseats down. I strapped it down and drove home slooooowwwly! It only took four of us to off load that monster!! After I assembled the set I paid six giant basketball playing neighbors $5.00 each to lug it from my garage to my deck, worth every penny!

I think if you oil that teek like the others say you'll be fine. Enjoy the set!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• hapster
    Options
    Thanks guys...

I like the idea of "not" having to work too hard to maintain it, I think the silver color is pretty good looking. Our deck is in full sun all day, and once the summer deck "season" is over, I would either get covers for each piece or just cover them with a tarp that has plenty of air flow. Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that letting it go silver is fine and cleaning it with mild soap and water should be all one would have to do it periodically.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @hapster‌ No. By the outdoor furniture they had a rep I spoke to with a catalog. I was really looking for a monster umbrella for the egg table. If it's the same one he showed me it looked very nice.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    Options
    You're probably right about the linseed oil. I was just supporting the point that oiling can be an easy, good way to preserve outdoor wood furniture. It took 15 mins or less to oil the chair, then another coat the follwoing day. I've been very pleased with the results.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    hapster said:
    Thanks guys...

I like the idea of "not" having to work too hard to maintain it, I think the silver color is pretty good looking. Our deck is in full sun all day, and once the summer deck "season" is over, I would either get covers for each piece or just cover them with a tarp that has plenty of air flow. Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that letting it go silver is fine and cleaning it with mild soap and water should be all one would have to do it periodically.
    your good to go leaving it grey and it really doesnt need soap, just a little bleach mixed into some water if you see any green develop in the spring. my old lobster workboat has exposed grey teak thats been that way unoiled since 1991 when i bought it and scraped all the spar varnish off. the oil is just for the folks that feel a need to upkeep it even though it lasts longer with no oil. the lobster boat stays nice and grey from the salt water, my teak chairs at home sit in a very wet environment and the bleach water every 3rd or 4th year keeps them clean looking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it