Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig setup question

Options
I am in the process of ordering an AR R&B combo but I was wondering how the setup would be for making a pizza on it. Normally I use my platesetter, legs down, with the feet from my egg and the pizza stone on that. What is the setup like with an AR? The R&B combo comes with the 13x17 oval stone, but if I need a 13" round stone to use to deflect the heat I would like to order it all at once. Any feedback would be great!
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2014
    Options

i don't think you will have a problem deflecting heat for pizza with the oval stone.  However, the rig extender is really nice for getting the pizza higher in the dome.

Also, if you get the round stone (which I have), you need to get the spider as well.  I have the round set up, and I really like it, but I think the oval would work just as well.
    NOLA
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    The oval sone will work just fine. However, I like the 13 low and the BGE pizza stone high on the extender. 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I do spider with stone then multi grid setup or spider with stone then pizza stone on the top level
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I planned on ordering a spider as well so I can use my wok.

Now I need to figure out if I can add a rig extender to my order without my wife killing me!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I just bought the AR R & B combo. I asked Tom the same question. He said the oval stone will work fine for pizza too. I am going to try it before I buy the round stone and spider. You already have the platesetter so I would try the stone high on the AR with the oval stone before you buy yet another heat deflector. If you do get it, you will have all the combo's at your disposal! Good luck and let us know what you find.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks for the info @jhl192. I'll give it a try and see what happens!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD