Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choosing a Knife

Options
Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchacing a Santoku Nikiri knife. Can someone tell me the differenve in a Wusthof version of this knife (at ~ $125) and the $420 version identified in the link below. What I am courious about is do they work differently?[p]THANKS!!
[ul][li]http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=02.008.180&dept_id=13170[/ul]

Comments

• why1504,
    My guess would be that with the Nikiri knife you are paying
    for a VERY nice hand make instrument. The Wusthof's etc. are
    well made but come from a production line so the cost of
    manufacturing is lower than a hand made knife. Just my
    2 Yen worth.

• Snowman
    Options
    why1504,
    For $420, that knife better come with its very own samurai.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    why1504, Do you want to slice meat, or perform surgery? I couldn't imagin why you would rather by a knife than a small Egg.

• why1504,
    I'm sure it's a fine knife and it's certainly beautiful. The japanese have been making blades like that for centuries and I'm sure that is fine example of their craft. But that knife, in a real world way, won't cut any better than the Wusthof, or my $35 Forschner Santoku I bought a few months ago for that matter. For me, knives are all about function and I just don't see any advantage to knives like that. But if you have the money and want a truly special blade, then splurge and get whatever you want.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Dave,
    Where did u get the $35 Forschner Santoku ?
    Cheers Bob
  • ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    Just make sure you hold the knife before you buy it. I went to Williams-Sonoma to buy a chef's knife (thinking I might get a Santoku knife instead). I tried not to look at the price until I found the knife I liked the most.

I handled every Santoku and found them too small and light. I also tried every chef's knife and found most to be too light, not balanced to my liking or the wrong shape handle (for my hand). I finally found the one I liked the most and luckily it was not the most expensive.

So, again, don't buy a knife unless you hold it first.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    why1504,
    with proper care, that knife will hold a sharp edge far longer than any wosthof. this is a good thing however sharpening will be a nightmare if you dont enjoy it. the wosthofs will take a sharp edge but the steel is relatively soft compared to that knife which makes them easy to sharpen but they get dull much faster. i just spent some time resharpening knives, the worthof sharpens quickly, my global takes a little more time to sharpen but the edge holds up better, my bunmei took almost 3 hours to hone an already sharp edge. if you do get that knife becareful not to chip the blade and dont use a steel on it, you need a fine wetstone

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    why1504,
    I was given henkels 4 star knives about 20 years ago. They work okay and I like the grip. When I went shopping for a santoku last spring I decided to stick with the brand. Cost about 70 bucks and works fine.[p]I do like the japanese blades, though. I have one Kershaw knife that travels with me when I head into the woods out west. I need to keep my eye on that knife. Everyone who has tried it over the past 25 years wants to walk away with it. Shun makes the kitchen version and the blades are some of the sharpest I've used and pretty easy to keep sharp. The Shun santoku was about twice as expensive as the henkels and I didn't like how the handle fit my hand.

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    why1504,[p]Thanks Everyone. I will get the less expensive one. I hope I can find a box so that I can carry it with me.[p]Hank