Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-gasketing tips and tricks -- thanks to Egret!

Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago, Egret gave me some great tips on replacing the gasket. I don't know if there is a "FAQ" or "BGE tips and tricks" page, but I think that his tips ought to be on that page. I have reprinted an edited version of his comments below, with a few extra comments of my own, in the hope that other folks might find this useful. (Most of my additions have to do with ways of cleaning off the rim before installing the new gasket; see #3 below.)[p]Replacing Your BGE Gasket[p]When you find that you can't maintain a "low and slow" temperature any more (or when you melt your gasket by letting your fire get too hot), it's time to replace your gasket. It's not as big of a job as it seems. BGE sells them for about $15. (These instructions don't apply to the XL.)[p]1. First, loosen the band on the top. If possible, don't unscrew the bolt all the way. Carefully remove the top dome and set it aside.[p]2. Let the top band open up, as if you were opening the lid open position, so you can have better access to the bottom gasket. Using a sharpened putty knife, scrape the bottom gasket off. Try not to let fragments of the old gasket fall into your Egg.[p]3. After you have removed the gasket, use the putty knife to scrape off as much grease and junk as you can from the rim of the bottom half of the Egg. The goal is to get the rim as clean as possible, so that the new gasket will stick well. Using vegetable oil on a plastic scrubbing pad, scrub the rim. (The vegetable oil dissolves the grease. It seems improbable, but it really works.) Wipe the vegetable oil off with a paper towel. If you are really a fanatic, use some paint thinner on a paper towel to get even more grease off of the rim. You could even use a MAPP or propane torch to burn off the vegetable oil or paint thinner, being careful to move the can of paint thinner far away from the flame. If you're even more fanatical, use a little sandpaper to scrape the rim, as well as a brass wire brush. Finally, use some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to get the rim squeaky clean.[p]4. Now place the top dome upside down onto the bottom half of the Egg. Repeat step #3.[p]5. Cut the new (replacement) gasket in two equal halves and apply one half to the top dome. Don't stretch the gasket. Just guide it along the rim. Remove the top dome and put it aside carefully. Put the other half of the new gasket on the bottom portion of the Egg.[p]6. Carefully put the top band back into the closed position. Be careful to apply the pressure on the hinge only and NOT on the band itself; otherwise, it may bend. Put the top dome in place. Adjust the bands and tighten the band bolts. Don't use the BGE for at least 24 hours after replacing the gasket.[p]

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Prof Dan,
    Thanks for the post and the expanded instructions. Just wondering....if you don't get all the veggie oil off this could cause adhesion problems.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    egret,[p]You bet -- the oil would be a big problem. That's why I wiped it down with thinner, and burned off the thinner, and sanded it a little, and wire brushed it, and wiped it with alcohol. Sounds like a lot of work, but the whole job, start to finish, was an hour. No big deal, considering that I got three or more years out of the first gasket, Egging several times a week.

• Prof Dan,[p] Everyone does it a little different I suppose, I just went to walmart and bought a 3M rust and paint remover, chucked it up in my Milwaukee 2 speed drill, stuck it on high speed and started burning the old gasket off. When I finished, it was perfectly clean, and I wiped it down with alcohol and stuck the new gasket on making sure none of it stuck into the egg. If anything hung over, it was on the outside. I took a wall paper burnishing roller and rolled it down really good, and put the egg back together, closed the lid and let it set for a day in the good ole Oklahoma sun. Been fine ever since John @ BGE sent me my new dome. No more burnouts for me!

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    David Thomas,
    That's very good advice. There are numerous methods to remove the old gasket. The end point is to be sure you have as 'squeaky clean' a surface as you can muster.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Prof Dan,Good stuff. I did mine but didn't take off top for fear I would bust it. Also went all the way with mineral spirits. After scraping and wiping I cleaned out bottom including removing fire box. At any rate it isn't as bad a job as most people think it is except I suppose at below zero temps.