Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How stable is Nest

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to get a Large BGE in the next few weeks and I am wondering how stable the BGE is resting in a Nest. Can someone tell me whether it could tip over relatively easily if someone were to knock into the BGE (we have 2 children under 6). [p]Thanks[p]

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    JimD,[p]It could happen. I have a couple of 75 pound Dobermann that like to play linebackers on a blitz. One of the first things I did was cordon off part of the deck and move my large into the safe location.[p]It seems pretty stable just sitting there, but a good knock might make it tumble.[p]DD
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    JimD,
    Its pretty stable just sitting theer and all. But it doesnt like to be pushed around, it is 150 pounds on wheels. I really dont see a 3yr old doing much damage but anything is possible.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    I would thi9nk a 6-year old would have to get a running start to threaten the Egg in a nest in any way. Go for it.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    JimD,
    The nest is pertty stable. I don't believe that you will have any problems; however it is always good to err on the side of caution. I've never had a problem with the large in a nest; however things can happen.
    Hammer

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JimD,
    from what i understand the rule of thumb is to pull it, not push it (when rolling)....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JimD,[p]Thanks for the comments. That is helpful.[p]Jim
  • Bucr8zy
    Options
    JimD,
    I pull and push mine around often but feel like it is quite unstable. Could use to be a little lower with a wider stance for stability. I move mine very slowly when I do move it. It is VERY top heavy in my opinion.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    The nest seems stable for my large. We have a paver patio. I don't move it around to much, but when I do it moves fairly easy. My big concern if I had small children (which we don't) is that the egg gets hot. It doesn't look hot most of the time but if it were me I would make the egg area off limits, period.
    billyg
  • JimD,[p]I believe that my egg is very stable, it sits on a concrete porch in my back yard. I personally think you would be fine with the kids, just teach them that Daddys egg is a no-no![p] If you're going to be moving it around a lot, perhaps you would feel better using a wooden table to mount the egg, there are two common a long and a compact table. Very nice but they do take up some room if that could be an issue for you.
    They are sold at many places, and on eBay for around 350.00. I'm making do with my nest until I can afford to build my outdoor kitchen and mount the egg in its final resting place!

• guavawood
    Options
    4509497728.jpg
    <p />JimD,[p]actually it's pretty solid! I push and pull when moving it. I use 2 hands and "crab walk" with it. Don't want to move it with the lid open. Make sure your terrain is level, smooth and no bumps. This can spell disaster. To tell you the truth, I hardly move mine now except maybe a couple feet. I keep it where I use it. Here is part of my driveway ... it's not Egg friendly.[p]Aloha![p]Greg