Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to the Turkey subject for a moment.....

Options
Bootheel Egger
Bootheel Egger Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been nominated by my wife to do the Turkey for one of our family Christmas dinners. I plan on doing Max's method for the turkey and doing a trial run before the big day. But I have one issue that I am not sure how to handle. [p]The drive from where I will be cooking the bird and where we will be eating is about 1 hour. How do I need to "pack" it to get the best results. I also am assuming that by packing it will take some of the crispyness out of the skin so any help in preserving as much of the crisp as possible.[p]One last question (because I am too lazy to go back and look at the archives), please tell me again what kind of "trivet" or rack works best for setting the bird on in the pan. [p]Many thanks for your help.[p]BE

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    the easy one first... .anything that will lift the bird out of the pan, but still leave enough clearance in the egg, will work. ... a lot of places sell 'v' racks that sit low in the pan. ... you'd probably have a tough time finding a trivet piece like i use, as mine is about 80 years old . .. you can simply take a throw away pie pan and turn it upside down in your roasting pan. ...that will work too. . .just so you get the bird off the bottom of the pan. ..[p]as far as transporting. .. . wrap it up in foil, put it in a box and go. ...it will still look and taste fine. .. IMHO, the moistness of the meat is way more important than the crispiness of the skin. ..

• Bootheel Egger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks Max!! The only disappointing this is not being able to do the gravy. I am going to be under a big time cruch anyway just to get the turkey finished and on the road in time to eat by about 1 p.m. I think I will definitely do the gravy in my "trial run" Thanks again[p]BE
  • Bootheel Egger
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,[p]The more I look at my messages, the more I realize I need to proof them. A little spelling and grammer check could go a long way for me!! Ha![p]BE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    gravey freezes well, save it for the big day from your trial run. if you follow maxs directions you get a lot of gravey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BGEJeff
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    I froze Max's gravy and reheated, it was still great gravy. Just a suggestion if you don't lap it all up with this cook.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,
    you could still make gravy....if you have a williams sonoma nearby, buy a jar of their gravy starter stuff (its basically consentrated drippings) . ..make the broth per my directions, and in a clean pan make the gravy, starting with the butter/flour roux, adding the wine, then the williams sonoma stuff, then the broth. ...should still be better than anything you can buy in a jar. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BGEJeff,
    you and fishlessman have both hit on a great idea... .and you can almost use the leftover gravy like a sourdough starter. ...add that in and expand on it with more fresh broth (if its a little thin just follow my directions for a thickening agent).. ..[p]thanks guys

• BGEJeff
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Jinx!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    it takes pressure off the big day, for me its all about the gravey and if something happens with it than dinner aint right. its good to have some frozen for a backup plan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i agree with you, the gravy makes the meal, not the other way around. .. by the time i'm done sending some home to others with leftovers, and making turkey pot pies with it, i've usually used up all of mine. ...

• Bootheel Egger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks for all the suggestions, sounds like if my trial run gravy turns out well I will just freeze and reuse on Christmas. I wish we had a Williams Sonoma or something similar within decent driving distance. Closest is about 1 1/2 hours away. Thanks again!![p]BE
  • BGEJeff
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    LEFTOVERS????? I used your method to a Tee.. First time this Thanksgiving, 23# bird 8 people.. nothing left but a carcass w/ barely enough left on it for soup. I chanced it, no Test run printed it off The Naked Whiz's web site followed step by step it was great!!![p]Jeff

• BGEJeff
    Options
    BGEJeff,
    In case your wondering.. it does make a ton of gravy, froze it and used it on smoked pork, a few nights ago but no left over Max Turkey.