Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just booked a weeks stay on Ocracoke, but really bummed about the grill

Options
My wife and I after staying on Ocracoke last year for a week that we would make this a tradition.  Its slow paced island life, no chain stores of any, and fresh seafood makes me itching to get back.  Last year the place we stayed had a nice little cheap charcoal grill.  We brought some food with us to cook and also went to the fish market where boats come in daily. 

Well, this year the place has a gas grill instead.  I am a little bummed really.  I would rather have one of the cheap gas grills.  In the future I thought about getting a small BGE for these trips or maybe one of the new Mini Max's (if they ever get them) but just don't take up a lot of room though. 

How many of you guys take a min, small, etc with you on vacation?  Is it cumbersome to take it plus lump, etc? 
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I take a small to the beach every year. The house we rent with the in-laws actually has Primo, which is kind of unusual. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have never priced a small.  Any idea what one costs (plate setter, nest(or feet), etc)? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    When my little girl gets older, I want to get a camper and do some camping.  Told the wife another BGE will be included. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have a small and I take it camping sometimes, but with a family of 5 I am just too limited on space when I go on vacation.  Between my wife and 2 daughters I have a hell of a time just getting the suitcases to fit :).  By the time you add in lump, tools, etc even a small egg takes up a good bit of space. 

As far as pricing, the 2014 GA Mountain Eggfest demo price was $584 for a small with a nest.  

I've been considering adding one of the Jumbo Joe's for portability.  The main reason is because it is cheap ($60), light, and not fragile so it is easy to throw on a hitch hauler or a rooftop carrier if need be. Also, you can usually buy briquettes anywhere but you may not find lump so you have to pack it in.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @smokeypitt, What is a Jumbo Joe?  At $60 I would be down for that. 

Never mind, I used Google.. lol

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Oh my gosh - I read your subject skimming the posts and saw "Okracoke" and remembered a Steve Martin skit in the 70s where he did a big production number about a new soft drink "Okra-Cola"!  Everyone's teeth turned green.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Tarheel I carry a mini when in our motor home it fits fine in the basement storage but am really looking forward to the mini max to take along as well as the mini is sometimes to small but honestly when camping I enjoy Dutch oven cooking or over the campfire
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Remember that the nudist beach never closes on Okracoke! Ta heck with the egg.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If there ever was a rationale story to justify a MINI-MAX, I think you have hit the nail on the head!  Borrow a small from a friend/dealer until the Mini-Max comes out.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SCegger
    SCegger Posts: 3
    Options
    We take our mini with us when we travel to the beach!  Love Okracoke BTW!
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I take our mini with us on vacation. It fits nicely into a cooler and I just pick up a small bag of lump once I get there. Looking forward to the Carten for the small, so that can start traveling with us.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Without the mini and at a pinch you could take a quick run up to Avon, buy a Smokey Joe at the Food Lion and leave it there at the rental when you come home.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Was talking to my wife about this... She said "I think we will be fine with the gas grill at the rental".  Argh... We will see.. I have been looking at the Smokey Joe or the Big Joe.  Nice looking units. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @berndcrisp, I didn't know there was one at Ocracoke. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • vapilotda
    vapilotda Posts: 22
    Options
    I pull the legs off my kettle, bungee the lid down, and take that. It travels well. It's always been disappointing to see the ragged out grills at beach rental houses.
    large and XL BGE in Richmond, VA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Without the mini and at a pinch you could take a quick run up to Avon, buy a Smokey Joe at the Food Lion and leave it there at the rental when you come home.
    This! Just buy a cheap grill and leave it. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Love going down to OBX, been going for years and I know what you mean about rental grills.  I'll be taking our small to Emerald Isle when we go later in the year.  Just hope to have a carten by then.  There is an Ace just on the island and will order some Rockwood to pick up while I'm there.  Hopefully get enough to last thru winter.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014