Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to keep heat down after open and close lid?

Options
anzyegg
anzyegg Posts: 1,104
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
When I open the lid to turn the ribs it goes down. But once you shut it the temp goes way up. I have everything closed but is there a better technique? I have been cooking the ribs for 1 1/2 hours turbo and they are burning a bit on ends. Don't want to have them not cooked enough but don't want burn. I pretty much can stabilize when I don't open but I guess there's a trick to it. My grill temp is currently at 333 and dome about 357.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If your ends are burning you can shield them with foil. I know that wasn't the question but it may help you right now. At 1 1/2 hrs you should be getting really close to being done. How long did you stabilize with PS and everything in the egg before putting food on? I will let the egg purr along at 350 dome for at least 30 mins before adding meat. You should just be able to close lower vent to prevent flare-ups when you open the dome but you gotta work fast.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fire triangle. Lid shut and your temp is stable. Once you open the lid there is an immediate loss of latent heat. But, now you have fed the beast with oxygen. Lid shut temp will initially spike and should again stabilize. I'm not a turbo guy. Ask @Mickey‌ how he does his turbos
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anzyegg
    Options
    I put them on about 5:22 and they look about done. I guess I should sauce them a bit and then 15-20 more.... It's challenging but fun. My only wish is they turn out ok. Thanks for the tips
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    To test the doneness you can pick them up with your tongs on one end if the bend 90* they are done. You can also use a toothpick on the meaty parts. If it slides in like going into hot butter they are done.

analyze adapt overcome

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Toothpick test and bend test (althogh the bend test can give false results). Thermapen or toothpick no resistance in or out & you're golden.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks, I just lathered them up and I'll try the took pick. Thermapen at 198?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Ya. That should put ya in the ballpark.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Here are the final pics boys. Not sure about taste yet. Thanks and I do love the egg and the challengeimageimage
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    They look awesome from here!! Hope they taste as good as they look.

analyze adapt overcome

• NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Takes practice like anything. Setup and temp are a lot of it. Sugar content in rub at higher temps is going to carmelize and if too hot burn. They look good but, I see the burnt you're referring to. But, overall looks good from my "armchair quarterback" position. :))
    Now how did they taste is the real question?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks NP, they actually came pretty good. My son loved them. Some were a bit over cooked but all in all I liked them. Had fun and began learning the Egg. I can see what you guys say about it wanting to go ballistic... Overall kept temps between 350-400 dome. In actually had an easy time keeping temps steady than I thought. No smell to food because I cooked off in the beginning like you guys said. Thanks for the helpful hints all...