Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow Chicken!!

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
I know, I know... Chicken? Wow? How could that be?! Well, it could. My diet restricts my beef and pork consumption so I do what I have to do. Ya know?

Had a whole chicken to cook tonight and decided to spatch it. Tired of the same old seasonings, so I took a look at foodgawker to see what I could find. This was a ridiculously simple paste, but the pics looked so good, I had to try it. 

Folks, this chicken was AWESOME!!! I mixed 1 Tbls smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp of dried parsley, a few cranks of the pepper mill and the very smallest pinch of kosher salt you can imagine. Then, I added maybe a Tbls of evoo (probably closer to 1 tsp) and mixed it into a paste. Rubbed that all over the bird and threw it on a 400° raised direct grid. When the temps were close, I decided to flip it skin side down to improve the skin color. Gonna make a huge jar of this seasoning!!! Better than Coffee Rub!!  :))

Yeah, Wow Chicken!!

imageimageimage

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    That looks good.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Looks great. Bookmarked

Mark Annville, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Dude, that looks totally awesome. I do a chicken a week, so next week I might give this a try.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great! Wonderful color!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2014
    Thanks, guys. Here's where I got it. If you read through it, she gives the impression that she wasn't real sure about this. But I looked at the ingredients and thought, this can't be BAD. And might be great! Added the s&p and reduced the amount I mixed. Didn't do the veggies she mentioned so I didn't need as much of the mix. Whatever, it was great. Definitely in my rotation now!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Add some salt and I'd hit that like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC44nP7ClxM
    Sure looks good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    edited May 2014
    Thanks. Forgot to mention... RO lump, no smoke wood. Was gonna throw in a couple of cherry chunks, but decided not to. Maybe next time.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Very nice yard bird.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    That is really an amazing endorsement! 

Of course I have smoked paprika. All I need is the chicken and I can't wait to get one!

Was the skin really crispy, or just the "normal"? I'll never forget the super-duper-crispy skin using Joan's indirect method.

Judy in San Diego
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Just when you think you've seen enough pics of spatchcocked chicken you post this... looks fantastic!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Man,your a good hand with photoshop CarolinaQ. 
    Awesome looking bird!!!!! :D
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Was the skin really crispy, or just the "normal"? I'll never forget the super-duper-crispy skin using Joan's indirect method.

Care to explain Joan's indirect method of super-duper-crispy skin?

Will def be giving this a try on my next bird Carolina.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Carolina Q
    Judy, it seemed more crispy than normal to me. I have never tried that indirect method so I can't compare.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited May 2014

Care to explain Joan's indirect method of super-duper-crispy skin?

Will def be giving this a try on my next bird Carolina.
    Saluki, Judy's original post on Joan's (Austin Egghead) method is here. At least I think it is... I can no longer access the old forum. No idea why. Copied this URL from my bookmarks...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Looks awesome! Definitely going to give it a whirl.
    GWN
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    These look really great. I'd guess this would also be really good on skin-on bine-in chicken breasts.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Just had to do the same.... Came out great! 35 minutes direct raised then 10 more minutes direct but lower down on the rig,skin down.... My best yet:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Carolina Q
    Cool! Glad you liked it. Love the charred bits. 

I thought it was some of the best I've had. We'll see how leftovers are tonight. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I did this with Bruce and Kelly's homemade rub last night (has some of the same flavors as you mentioned above so I thought I would give it a go). It was out of this world. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to make the paste with a blend of evoo and honey this weekend.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    I did this with Bruce and Kelly's homemade rub last night (has some of the same flavors as you mentioned above so I thought I would give it a go). It was out of this world. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to make the paste with a blend of evoo and honey this weekend.
    I really liked the paste. I don't recall ever doing that before. But I will do it again! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    This sure looks like a winner!  Thanks for the link.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    That's a great looking bird!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I did this with Bruce and Kelly's homemade rub last night (has some of the same flavors as you mentioned above so I thought I would give it a go). It was out of this world. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to make the paste with a blend of evoo and honey this weekend.
    Will someone post a link to Bruce and Kelly's homemade rub? I must have been asleep at the grid.
    Judy in San Diego
  • NoJokeSmoke
    NoJokeSmoke Posts: 42
    Thanks John!

Hi Judy,
    We are looking into packaging that rub and maybe a couple of others so we have not given out the recipe.  That said, send me a message with your shipping information and I'll send you some for free.  We just ask that you let us know what you think.  You can also message Kelley who is "Eggobsessed". 

I made the rub originally for ribs, but found that we love it on everything and just found that it is great on chicken and, strangely to me, it is really really good on salmon (Kelley suggested it and I was like, no way, but I was so wrong).  If you use it on Brisket or Pork Shoulder, add some kosher salt to the bigger pieces of meat.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Just saw this one, like the idea of paste. Cow Crust from the Amazing Ribs site uses a paste technique which does provide a great crust on beef - never thought about it but the same technique would work on poultry and maybe pork..... Will try it tonight on some chops. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Just saw this one, like the idea of paste. Cow Crust from the Amazing Ribs site uses a paste technique which does provide a great crust on beef - never thought about it but the same technique would work on poultry and maybe pork..... Will try it tonight on some chops. 
    Ok, off to Amazing Ribs... Thanks! I LOVED the paste on this chicken!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    This looks great. Doing one tomorrow night and have some fresh herbs leftover from tonight, think I'm going to riff on this and use what I have on hand and see how it turns out.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    looks like a postcard. great job. bookmarked