Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of selling my BGE...

I've had a BGE for several years and, frankly, I'm not too satisfied with it.  The main reason is what I've taken to calling "The BGE taste."  This is, basically, that unique BGE "coal smoke flavor" that permeates everything I smoke on the BGE.  

Now, I'm fully aware of the need to burn off VOC's before putting on the meat.  I usually go through this process although it makes NO sense if I'm smoking something because there's no way to get a full bag of coals hot them cool the grill down to 250ish for smoking.  

Maybe it's the cheap brand of coal I use (Royal Oak) since I grab what's available to me locally.  Maybe it's my technique.  Maybe it's just the way it's supposed to taste but I don't like that flavor.  My neighbor has an SMC and his cooks tastes proper.  I was born and raised in NC so I know what proper tastes like.

Some more details:
I always use a BBQ Guru because it can get windy where I live
I use a chunk of hickory, cherry or apple for flavor 

Any ideas?

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    @Marrt
    Thats a shame to hear, but to each his own.  I love the flavors imparted by the charcoal and it is why I don't cook brisket in the oven.  For Indirects, I have found that "turbo" method has much less smoke ring and less smoke flavor than super low and slow.

If you decide to sell, Im' sure you will find buyers.  If you live in TN, let me know and Ill come take it off your hands.
    Good Luck.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Try Rockwood
    There's no need to light the entire pile of lump and shouldn't.
    For 250 I light the center...tennis ball size and work up from there.

I know people like RO but I'm telling you Rockwood burns as clean as anything I've tried. My wife isn't a huge smoke fan ...never complains.

Good luck
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Have you ever done a burn out? Since you said you like to smoke your food and obviously at a low 250 temp then your whole egg inside may have a very heavy build up of creosote and when that gets hot it can stink up your food pretty bad!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Don't sell it......do a clean burn and try some different charcoal.  I'm not into smokey food either and I cook Everything on my BGE's.

• marrt
    marrt Posts: 22
    Don't get me wrong...I love wood smoke flavor.  Just not coal smoke flavor.  It literally tastes like the smoke from coal that's dug from the ground.  If you've ever smelled true coal (the rock) smoke, you know what I'm talking about.  

It's not overwhelming but enough to ruin the flavor in my opinion.  Ether I'm doing something wrong or this is "just the way it is" for a BGE...which I find VERY had to believe since BGE's are often used in competition and this wouldn't cut it.  I must be doing something wrong.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Load up with lump, remove the DFMT, open the bottom vent and remove the thermometer. Let it burn until it goes out. Don't leave the platesetter in there so you'll have a better chance of cleaning the dome.

I use RO all the time with no issues, but you might try a different brand. Clean it first though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've been using Royal Oak for the last few months and like the taste of my food with the smoke flavor. I don't get get as much smoke flavor when I'm cooking around 350° to 400° for chicken or at 700° for steaks, but I do when I go low and slow I do. I also let the lump go 15 minutes before I put wood on and give it at least another 15 minutes or more to get the better smoke out before meat goes on. I think RRP is right, you may have some build-up on the inside of the egg and you need to take it to maybe over 1000° for a while to clean it out. I would try that first before giving it up.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    royal oak is a smokey brand, try a neutral brand.
  • henapple
    There's lots of guys that use eggs for their comp cooker.. many on here. Travis wins his brisket comp every year again huge smokers. I do a clean burn occasionally but at 700 degrees. There's guys on here who never do one. I'm telling you.. try Rockwood. Maple Leaf burns clean also.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    As mentioned above, clean burn it and change lump.  Rockwood and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior are about the most smoke-neutral lumps I have come across.   You can order Rockwood thru this site; http://www.firecraft.com/category/charcoal-wood .  I have also heard good things about Humphrey's charcoal but no personal eggsperience.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Where are you located?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Don't sell it, give it to me. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • marrt
    I'm located in Northern VA, not far from Dizzy Pig HQ actually.

OK, I'll do a burn out. What's the procedure...load up a full bag, open the vents, light it up and don't open the lid again if you want to keep your eyebrows?

My wife is pressing me to smoke a butt tonight so I better get started.  

Also, I'll order some Rockwood for later.
  • marrt
    Sorry guys... I missed a couple comments when typing (and talking to my wife)..I see the burn instructions above.
  • henapple
    I'll be in York PA and the DC area in july.. could bring you some oo
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2014
    Also, try using just the lump - no smoke wood at all. SWMBO is a super taster, if I use just lump, she is happy, if I use some smoke wood it is too strong for her.  
    After your clean burn, dump the lump to the top of the fire box, or middle of the fire ring for a longer cook. Light it on the top near the front and let it stabilize to 250º, I preset my vents as soon as it is started, give it an hour or two to stabilize. When it smells sweet, put the food on. 
    I think you are choking the air back which on an established fire will result in a more acrid stronger smoke. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @marrt-you don't need a full load of lump-above the air holes on the sides of the fire box is plenty.  You are trying to clean off the creosote build-up.  And you will succeed.  You may also need a gasket when this adventure is completed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited May 2014
    Im in the "lump only" crowd. I consider the chunk of hickory, apple, cherry or whatever youre adding to the firebox to be a "seasoning" since it imparts additional flavor to the cook. Apparently its too strong for your tastes. So... delete the "seasoning" chips, and let the meat, heat and spices (that you actually apply to your meat). do the talking. By adding seasoning chunks youre over-complicating the flavors IMO. Less is often more.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I would suggest foiling the top of your plate setter as well. I do this and keep it from getting all cruddy and emitting smoke. I can tell you it isn't the egg. I can bake on mine and you'll never know it came off a charcoal fired egg.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Marrt, I'm in the Northern VA area too, not far from Dizzy Pig.  I've been using the Nature Glo lump that Dizzy Pig sells and I really like it for all my cooks.  I've been wanting to try Rockwood but haven't ordered it yet but with Nature Glo I haven't been noticing any off flavors or coal like scents on my food.  I have been cooking my pork butts using the turbo method lately which is burning off the VOC's on more coals before I put the meat on.  

When I do the low and slow cooks I just light the coals in the center with the torch let it burn up for 15-20 minutes and close the lid without the grate and plate setter in to let it burn off and ramp up. I let the egg get 75-100 degrees hotter than I want to cook then throw the plate setter in the woo and put it in and let it stabilize at my desired temp then throw the meat on and let it go.  This process takes about 30-45 minutes to get started but it's been working for me.

Hopefully the clean burn and new charcoal works out for you so you can start enjoying the food more from the BGE.  If you still don't like it and want to get rid of your BGE let me know, I'm local and interested in buying another BGE.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    marrt said:
    I'm located in Northern VA, not far from Dizzy Pig HQ actually.

OK, I'll do a burn out. What's the procedure...load up a full bag, open the vents, light it up and don't open the lid again if you want to keep your eyebrows?

My wife is pressing me to smoke a butt tonight so I better get started.  

Also, I'll order some Rockwood for later.
    Dizzy Pig has Rockwood.....that will save you from ordering a bunch of it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If you want to try Rockwood, I'm in Frederick and can give you a bag.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I heat my house with coal and hate it. The smell, ash, keeping it stoked and well I just hate it. The only reason I use it is because I heat my house for about $30.00 a month. If my food tasted like that, I'd sell my egg too. Try some of the suggestions mentioned by others. I've tasted the acrid smell from lump but that was due to type and not letting VOC's burn off. I use royal oak and have little smoke flavor if I don't use additional smoking wood. Hopefully some of the solutions others have listed will work.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited May 2014
    +1 on what @nolaegghead said. If u light too much lump and choke back the oxygen, you make a smokey, creosote filled mess. That's the bad taste. You're burning what's termed a "dirty" fire. You need a cleaner fire like what was said above. I only leave my dome open long enough to get my fire started. Then I close the lid, leave the bottom open the whole way, and dial the temp with the daisy wheel. I find top closed, small holes just under fully open is perfect 350. With the bottom open, the oxygen will help the fire burn clean. The top will restrict airflow enough to keep it cool. I had the same problem when I started, but I've been good ever since I learned this trick.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I am learning SO MUCH from this discussion. Haven't had any off tastes, but I've probably been lighting mo low fires wrong.
    Kemah, TX
  • As Henapple mentioned in another post, I just bought a 2nd large and got a free bag of BGE lump (aka rebranded royal Oak) with it. I did one cook just for old time's sake and it was so dirty and smoky I gave the bag to my next door neighbor when he was out of lump one evening. We are both cooking pizza tonight. He is 100 yds from me and the second I opened my door I could smell his egg. Mine is loaded with Rockwood and burning 600 degrees and totally odorless. His smells like a campfire from 100 yds and is billowing white smoke. Listen to those above and try rockwood if you don't like heavy smoke. There is a huge difference.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • And I did a brisket for 12 hrs overnight last night. Here is what was left.......

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Unburned chip n chunks?? :-?
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Durangler said:

Unburned chip n chunks?? :-?

Just chunks. I added a few more this morning so they were only in for a few hours. These are what was left.