Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Problem Question...

2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    There's always a new flavor-of-the-month charcoal brand that is the "best", for a few months until something supplants it in the fickle mind of the back yard barbecue gurus.

SEE: Royal Oak > BGE > Wicked Good Competition > Wicked Good Weekend Warrior > Maple Leaf > Ozark Oak etc. etc.

Sooner or later, they all get a spot in the sun. But they are natural products and exhibit variation.

That said, I don't understand the fetish for large chunks to begin with.  The logical extension here is one 20 pound lump of charcoal in each bag.  That wouldn't work.

Sure, we like some big chunks for airflow under a roaring fire, but your chunks don't look "small to me at all.

Maybe my BGE is the odd one, which can burn almost any lump, in any size, and operate perfectly fine.

I prefer smaller chunks for overnighters, giving the small fire plenty of chances to cath on neighboring points of lump. Or to spread on top of a fire built for searing.  If you want a ridiculous fire for searing, pour whatever charcoal you want in the thing, and spread medium small lump on top, uniformly across the lump.  SHUT the lower vent, and cook with the top open. 

Hotter than dome closed with all vents open, and you will have a uniform bed of ridiculous coals across the entire diameter of the grill.  The smaller chunks fill in and provide the uniformity, and the entire fire is on top, not below the surface.

If I had big chunks, it would take longer for that fire to spread and reach temperatures that the small chunks, in a uniform bed, achieve: those nearing that of the outer ring of the Seventh Circle of Hell, the Phlegethon.

from your list ill take a pallet each of wicked good comp blend, maple leaf, and ozark
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    stlcharcoal very neat behind the scenes look.  If a chipper is not involved does it go through a shaker after charring to break the logs up into pieces?  Didn't mean to say chipper out of context, I was simply stating the pieces will all be different and essentially not a big deal. 

Just like a log in a fireplace, they break apart on it's own during the kilning process--especially after the loader scoops them up.  Any huge charred logs in the cooling/bagging area, are not charcoal--they're still wood inside.  They get separated and loaded back into the kilns for the next burn.

The small chunks burn the same as the small chunks if the O2 supply is equal.  This charcoal is bought by just as many people with Webers, UDS, and gravity fed verticals--they complain about the big chunks.  Kamado guys complain about the small chunks.  Unfortunately, you can't please everyone no matter how much I wish I could.  I have three BGE's and a Rebel gravity fed.  So whenever I get down to the really small chunks, I dump them in the Rebel's chute.  The fines and chips go in a bucket for my wood stove or garden. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Animal feed mills?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I was taken back by the size on my first bag. All the bags I've had have smaller pieces to me. ..but, it burns extremely clean and does a great job.

I don't understand the shipping explanation because all lump is shipped. I've picked up Rockwood at the warehouse and those bags had smaller than "normal" pieces. Again, I would and do use and recommend Rockwood.

I will say the metallic "clink" sound Jonathan has explained is spot on. If I had to use Maplewood. ..I guess I could.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    I think smaller stuff makes for a better fire, actually. With the exception of bigger chunks below.

Best low and slow (during a snow storm to boot) I had was with the end of a bag. Unable to go get a new bag, I dumped all the chips in and crossed my fingers. No issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• stlcharcoal
    edited May 2014
    Animal feed mills?

Yep, I've heard some farmers feed lump charcoal to pigs, or they now use charcoal powder in extruded food for chickens, cows, pigs, etc.  I don't know really any more about it.

henapple said:
    I was taken back by the size on my first bag. All the bags I've had have smaller pieces to me. ..but, it burns extremely clean and does a great job. I don't understand the shipping explanation because all lump is shipped. I've picked up Rockwood at the warehouse and those bags had smaller than "normal" pieces. Again, I would and do use and recommend Rockwood.

But, you loaded all those bags in the utility trailer and drove 300-400 miles, right?

It's not FedEx or UPS guys throwing boxes around, it's the agitation that breaks it down.  If I took a bag of Lay's potato chips, wrapped it in 4ft of bubble wrap and shipped it across the country in a refrigerator box, it would still break down from the vibration of transit.

I agree that shipping doesn't necessarily or fully destroy it--FireCraft is one of our biggest sellers for almost a year now.  If the product was beat to hell after all the shipping, people wouldn't keep ordering it.  I think it's a combination of agitation and a higher carbon content.  The bags people get that are smaller pieces (even here in STL), are just a higher carbon content than the others.  That's not a bad thing, since once lit they'll hold much lower temps with minimal O2.  If those smaller chunks in those bags break apart really easily, that definitely indicates high carbon.

• henapple
    I agree...I've also hauled oo across several miles to get home and at times had my guys pick up 80 bags. I can tell you how they loaded it...tossing it I'm sure. Regardless you're lump is great and it's gaining steam which says enough m
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    WOW

I'm amazed at the amount of comment on this post. This is the most I have had on any of my post. I would like to say that I am disappointed in the direction this post has gone. I hate that my most successful post has been so controversial.

I did not mean at any point to make anyone think that Rockwood was bad lump. I had only intended to ask if anyone had noticed any change in the lump. I feel like I have thrown Rockwood under the bus with this discussion.

I would like to say that Rockwood is the best lump I have used to date and I have been extremely happy with the product and how it preforms. I was only saying It seemed to have smaller pieces than the last bags I had used. It still preformed as it always has.

I hate that I came off complaining about it. I did not intend to make it sound that way. After reading the title and where I said I hope I did not make a mistake ordering so much. I can see where I came off that way. I am still new to the forum thing and have only ever posted on this forum. I forget how literally some people take things and realize I may need to choose my words carefully when talking about certain things.

I would like to apologize for starting such a conversational post and would l to let @stlcharcoal know that I did not mean to make it sound like I was talking bad about his product. I will continue using Rockwood lump because I believe at this point there is nothing on the market that works better. Plus he is a forum member.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • stlcharcoal

@Jeffroe189

No worries man.....didn't come off that way to me at all.

• henapple
    Don't worry about it...damn, wait till someone tries to sell something crappy or start a personal blog. You called it like you see it. It's all good. Everyone knows Rockwood. ..well, rocks.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jeffroe, this interwebz is serious business, yo. Don't worry too much buddy. If anyone thinks I'm being too serious, there's something wrong with me. Post away! It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited May 2014
    Wait until you try to sell a T-shirt or two!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    henapple said:

Don't worry about it...damn, wait till someone tries to sell something crappy or start a personal blog. You called it like you see it. It's all good. Everyone knows Rockwood. ..well, rocks.

Not everyone. Not Californians. :((
  • Hey Jeffroe, I noticed you live in Winston Salem.  Don't know how far it is to Mooresville, but there is a place there, Fire Medic, that sells Rockwood.  Met the guy the only time I was there and he's a decent guy and has a fairly impressive showroom. (At least it was to me, my dealer is sort of puny)  He had a couple pallets of RW at the time and says he always keeps it in stock.  Unfortunately for me he is the closest dealer of RW to me in SW VA.  Any time from now on that I'm travelling that way I'll load up cause it is such good stuff.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• stlcharcoal
    Hey Jeffroe, I noticed you live in Winston Salem.  Don't know how far it is to Mooresville, but there is a place there, Fire Medic, that sells Rockwood. 
    Mooresville is a little over half way to Charlotte, but Ace Hardware may be able to order it.  The western part of NC is restocked by the Gainesville, GA warehouse.  You'll just have to call around.  Right now the only store I see on my list that ordered some was in Mecklinburg--outside of Charlotte.
  • "controversial post"?

Hahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Stick around. And while you are getting familiar with the place, do a forum search for:

Mangrates
    Tweeve
    Mcnuttly
    Strike
    BigGreenCraig + tee shirts
    Kamado Joe
    Primo oval
    Ash holes
    Obama
    RubMyRock
    PBR
    Anusol
    Old forum
    Celtic Spirit Tee Shirts
    Ardi
    Older Eggtoberfest was better
    Ed Fisher Golf Cart
    Drop you where you stand drunken rant Part II

(I am sure I missed a few. Some of these were some old bookmarks, but none of them worked! )
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @seneca youngur

You did miss a few, like "Stike", to name one.  Also Trevor Davies.   But an excellent list, and you have an exceptional list of bookmarks.  
    Also, lump posts, IMHO, regarding brand, size, foreign object content, etc. end up being complete **** fights. How to light it, load it, burn it, on and on, are good subjects for discussion as people don't search but look at recent posts and post new threads.  But the actual lump brand threads, worthless.  Learn how to maintain a good fire before you disparage or trumpet brand names of lump.  </end rant>
    You forgot.. "my wife likes my ****" ..Spatchcock that is.
  • "Spatched" means splayed open, flattened, so, you know, might want to see a urologist.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    "Spatched" means splayed open, flattened, so, you know, might want to see a urologist.
    henapple has quite the kink.
  • henapple
    No...that was Nebraska's thread...