Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Problem Question...

So I have used Rockwood in the past and it has been very good. When my supply of Ozark Oak ran out I ordered 10 bags of Rockwood from Firecraft.com. I just opened the first bag of it last week and have noticed it is nothing but small pieces. I hope I just got a bad bag.

Has anyone else noticed a change in the size of lump in the Rockwood?

I hope I did not make a mistake buying so much Rockwood...

Here are some pics. The larger pieces you see in the picture is pretty much the largest I have come across in the bag. I am probably 1/2 way or better into the bag.  I remember the last few bags I used had lots of large chunks and there was not much small stuff at all.
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2014
    I know everyone rants and raves about large pieces but really it doesn't matter. Not tryin to be a smartass. I have had bags RW & OO with smaller chunks they all burn the same I have had bags of RW that were all bigger chunks and some that were the opposite If it doesn't fall through the grate it will burn. The good thing is you are burning 2 of the best lumps out there If you don't believe me just ask @henapple

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I would say just like any brand when shipped it could've been roughly handled etc. I've never used this particular brand but, based on forum responses I would say this brand is a solid winner. Chalk it up to shipping or random bad bag. I use WGWW and I've been very satisfied but, I've had 1 bag with smaller pieces than I was used to. Hey, it happens.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I know everyone rants and raves about large pieces but really it doesn't matter. No tryin to be a smartass

Me too! I hate those big pieces that I have to break up with a hammer! BTW I have never used Rockwood and I'm sure it is a fine product as I too came from MO, but shipping and handling makes a big difference. I always pick up each bag and feel how full it feels and sounds when I shake it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    I agree to a certain point. I use a Hique grate and when I use a lot of small pieces the tend to fall threw the grate faster and fill the egg up quick. I don't like really big pieces but these are mostly the size of golf balls.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Were the pieces small, or was it a lot of chips and dust? Smaller pieces are ok as long as they are not falling through the grate. The photo on the right looks fine to me.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Jeffroe189
    yea looking at the pictures I feel like they do look bigger than I am making them out to be. LOL I was just curious if anyone has noticed the Rockwood changing any. Im really hopping its just this bag. I was extremely happy with the last few bags I used. I feel like they make a great product from what I have read on here. 

Im not really complaining just curious if anyone has noticed a difference. Time will tell when I open the rest of my lump.
  • Jeffroe189
    RRP said:
    I know everyone rants and raves about large pieces but really it doesn't matter. No tryin to be a smartass

Me too! I hate those big pieces that I have to break up with a hammer! BTW I have never used Rockwood and I'm sure it is a fine product as I too came from MO, but shipping and handling makes a big difference. I always pick up each bag and feel how full it feels and sounds when I shake it.
    I do agree that shipping is always going to be an issue with lump. I wish I could find a good product around here local. 
  • Ragtop99
    My current bag got beat up in shipping and there are a lot of smaller pieces. I dumped it out to put it into a bag I just finished and the amount of chips and dust was very low. So more smaller pieces, but very little unusable product.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Nothing has changed on our end.  But remember, it's a natural product, so it's never going to be the same.  The only way to ever promise a consistent product every single time is to sell briquettes--and that's not happening.

The bigger variable is shipping.....and the bags you have probably travelled close to 1500 miles in unknown conditions.  About this time last year is when we first started shipping Rockwood, not knowing what the product would look like after it travelled across the country.  Most people seem to be pretty happy with it, so I hope you just got some mishandled bags.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Those pieces don't seem terribly small too me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I have been through 11 bags of Rockwood. I would bet that the rest of your bags will have larger pieces. That's how mine worked anyway. 

I had a couple of bags that had a more chips and small pieces. For the most part, I had GREAT quality lump. It starts faster than any other lump that I have used and produces minimal ash compared to other brands that I have used. In the middle of my 11 bags, I burned a bag of BGE and a bag of Royal Oak (red bag from Home Depot) and it took forever for the white smoke to clear compared to the Rockwood. 

I just got a bunch more and I'm looking forward to cooking all summer with it. I have since started to handle my bags of lump like potato chips - the more gentle the handling, the better. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    That looks like my bags. I put together a group buy a while back and I've been through three of my bags and they have all been consistent in size (roughly the same as your picture) with not a whole lot of dust so I'm sure their wasn't any rough handling issues. I'm happy with it though, burns hot and long. I like it better than the Cowboy Lump I was using. They make a very nice product and you can't beat supporting a 100% American made product!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Those are still good sizes pieces. I get bags like that sometimes but they burn great in the egg and even better in the joe jr.

I did a turbo butt for 5.5hrs at 325 then 8 hamburgers followed by 4lb of venison sausage and still had lump for the cook I did the next night in the jr... Pretty impressive
    Beaufort, SC
  • Jeffroe189
    Thanks for all the input guys. Again I want to say at at no point was I wanting to talk bad about Rockwood. There is a reason I ordered 200 lbs last time. I think it is the best lump I have ever used. I'm sure the next 9 bags I have will be great. I can always use the smaller peices with my small. Thanks again
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Not to beat it to death...but I don't see any issue with the sizes either.  I don't see many really tiny "gravel and dust" pieces so I don't think you will have any issues burning it in any size egg.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeffroe189
    I will also add that I just went threw 10 bags of Ozark Oak and they do tent to have very Lange peices in there bags. Some to big. It is a pain when you have to break up your lump before you can use it. So maybe I have just been a custom to it and just need to get used to Rickwood.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    It's not about the size, it's all in how you use it.   =))
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Not trying to be a smart butt, but sometimes folks take things to the extreme.... It is a natural product that really depends on the product, chipper, and likely a conveyer/filler.  You paid for the weight which I am sure you received over weight. 

Dump it, light it, cook, and be happy. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I had the same issue and the bags came from firecraft. I couldn't understand why it was getting good reviews on the forum. I threw away several pounds of dust and tiny pieces. Guessing now its the shipping. As far as people saying small pieces are fine yeah maybe pieces that are smaller but not when there are lots of pieces under an inch in diameter. If the OPs post is the top of the bag imagine what the bottom pieces look like.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725

She lied to you bro
    Beaufort, SC
  • Ragtop99
    Lit said:
     As far as people saying small pieces are fine yeah maybe pieces that are smaller but not when there are lots of pieces under an inch in diameter. If the OPs post is the top of the bag imagine what the bottom pieces look like.
    That's a fair point about smaller pieces being at the bottom. Most of the chips and dust work their way down depending upon how much it has been handled. The OP stated he was "probably 1/2 way or better into the bag," so I took it to mean that the photos were not top of the bag. 
  • stlcharcoal

If you want to see what the charcoal looks like when it leaves the plant, look at the latest post on our Facebook page.  That piece I'm holding in my hands was about the size of a grapefruit before I broke it apart with very little effort.  Good charcoal is very brittle.

http://www.facebook.com/RockwoodCharcoal

Lump charcoal does not go through any "chippers" or anything to break it down.  It's scooped out of the kilns by a loader, and then goes through several processes to separate the chips and fines.  Those chips and fines, and even the charcoal dust that comes out of a air collection system, is all sold.  So, it's not like a charcoal company is sticking it to the customer by giving them fines & dust--there are buyers that want that stuff as the lump (briquette manufacturers, compost companies, animal feed mills, etc.)

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Is Rockwood available in east TN?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    She lied to you bro
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    im still looking for a coyote to get me some of this in CA  [-O<
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • tarheelmatt
    stlcharcoal very neat behind the scenes look.  If a chipper is not involved does it go through a shaker after charring to break the logs up into pieces?  Didn't mean to say chipper out of context, I was simply stating the pieces will all be different and essentially not a big deal. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stlcharcoal

@Philicious

Yes, any Ace Hardware east of Nashville can order it using SKU 8400772.

Looking at my list, the four TN stores that have ordered it from the Gainesville warehouse are located in: Athens, Pulaski, Chattanooga, and Dunlap.  These doesn't mean they're stocking it, or even have any in stock--they may have ordered those bags for a customer.  Call ahead.

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited May 2014
    There's always a new flavor-of-the-month charcoal brand that is the "best", for a few months until something supplants it in the fickle mind of the back yard barbecue gurus.

SEE: Royal Oak > BGE > Wicked Good Competition > Wicked Good Weekend Warrior > Maple Leaf > Ozark Oak etc. etc.

Sooner or later, they all get a spot in the sun. But they are natural products and exhibit variation.

That said, I don't understand the fetish for large chunks to begin with.  The logical extension here is one 20 pound lump of charcoal in each bag.  That wouldn't work.

Sure, we like some big chunks for airflow under a roaring fire, but your chunks don't look "small to me at all.

Maybe my BGE is the odd one, which can burn almost any lump, in any size, and operate perfectly fine.

I prefer smaller chunks for overnighters, giving the small fire plenty of chances to cath on neighboring points of lump. Or to spread on top of a fire built for searing.  If you want a ridiculous fire for searing, pour whatever charcoal you want in the thing, and spread medium small lump on top, uniformly across the lump.  SHUT the lower vent, and cook with the top open. 

Hotter than dome closed with all vents open, and you will have a uniform bed of ridiculous coals across the entire diameter of the grill.  The smaller chunks fill in and provide the uniformity, and the entire fire is on top, not below the surface.

If I had big chunks, it would take longer for that fire to spread and reach temperatures that the small chunks, in a uniform bed, achieve: those nearing that of the outer ring of the Seventh Circle of Hell, the Phlegethon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    We all have opinions, so here's my .02:

I have used maybe 7-8 bags of Rockwood lump. Some of the bags have larger chunks but is consistently decent sized chunks. I am not the "sort the lump" type of guy. Its just too dirty of a process. I just stir old lump and dump new lump. I cut the bag and pour. I rarely look into the bag to assess the lump size. 

It all burns the same to me. I haven't had any issues with the XL and the fire going out. The excessively larger pieces are often bashed with a hammer of some sort to break it up some. The Rockwood quality has been the same, large or small. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD